You'll Call Me Son

Started by StephenM, December 31, 2020, 05:58:45 PM

StephenM

LANDR-CALL ME SON-Medium-Balanced
Time:
0:00
Volume:
camping last week...I got together with Evan Williams and we wrote this....ha!  It's a story about a young man and woman, quite young...who fall in young love and she gets pregnant...then he must face her father...of course he knows that the girl he is in love with was born the same way....a young, unplanned, unmarried pregnancy....so the young man faces the father with confidence and tells the dad of his love and plans for the girl....to be together and build a life....and then reminds him that the child is his grand child.... and that one day...if he opens his heart they will be family....and toast new years eve!

Les Paul.... drum track from the Zoom R24.... vocals on same using on board mics... epiphone bass..... mixed on the zoom...and then Landr mastered...

Baby you said yes, but you forgot to take it slow (and you really meant no, I'm not ready yet).... Here I am again...roses in my hand....feeling kind of akward, facing your old man....sir, can't you tell that I love her?  She's the only thing I think about.  Sir, can't you tell that I want  her?  She's what my mimd os all about (her is all I think about)....Don't you remember what it was like mister?  when you had to face her old man....and he came all at you with a shotgun in his hand (a bible in his hand?)..... and with confidence and swagger, you looked him in the eye, and that look became a dagger and it pierced him far and wide?  And besides, that child inside her, it's kind of mine, and it's hers and it's yours too...So why would you say no to me?  When your daughter said yes to me?  And she loves me the same why that I love her.... one way or another we are going to be together, it won't matter to me what it takes.  You see I have already picked out a couple of acres....just dow the road apiece... I got all my bank account set up and and i am saving real hard and working real hard...I'm gonna buy that piece of land...and we are going to be family....  and pretty soon you'll say son, you'll call me son...you'll call me son... and we'll toast New Years Eve....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

WarpCanada

Ooh you guys nailed this one.   I particularly like the way it goes into a kind of Talkin thing. It reminded me of one of my favorite Songwriters.

Check this track out and the way he kind of narrates a story and creates a scene. You nailed that vibe just like this song does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne_2NWF71Wc
(THe Real World, Marques Bovre)
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Mike_S

What a track Stephen, this is soooo good. It has a real freedom to the performance, which goes with the whole spirit of the track. The vocals I love. Love the free spirit in them and the spoken bits are genius. There's a real grit about the track - the rocky guitars in the background are very cool too.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Great song with a story behind the pretty music...not bad for a camping song...lots of fun here, love that middle section, takling with shit hot guitar...really great stuff...yup its good

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Redler

Fine story behind the song. Really tasty guitar licks with solid backer! Works fine to me!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ray Brookes

Cool song, Stephen with good story telling and excellent guitar phrases.
Ray Brookes

Kenneth

As a father of 2 daughters, i have to shudder.
Wheres my shotgun?

Good post Stephen!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

maxit

3 daughters, I'll shot him first, dont let him get to half the song LoL. Wonderful story (I love stories!), great song and yes, I like the alternate talking and singing too, and the guitars are perfectly supporting the lyrics.
recorder
Audacity

TPB

For a camp song this great and as a man that raised daughters all the boyfriends knew I worked special ops and carried a gun so most treaded pretty lightly lol
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Jean Pierre

I translated the lyrics and I understand better the guys' comments on the quality of the story.
...I don't speak enough English to appreciate the text but the music, the dubbing of the voices and the guitar make it a very nice production.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo