Recording from a Roland drum module via line-in?

Started by grolschie, June 01, 2009, 01:05:56 AM

grolschie

This is kind of a general question, not necessarily limited to the BR600 which I use, but has anyone tried this and got a good sound? Trying to get a good sound without clipping. The problem is that I have to reduce the volume quite alot so that the kick doesn't distort the input of the BR. I have reduced the kick volume on the module, but looking for some tips. I guess I can bump up the low end EQ later. Thanks in advance.

SdC

Drums work like any other instrument. You'll need to record it at full eq range, and without clipping. If this means recording at a level lower than the other instruments, do so. This won't mean it'll be reduced quality, since you're working with digital signal.
So just turn the faders for the other tracks down a bit when recording the drums.

recorder
Boss BR-600

grolschie

Thanks SdC. Does "full EQ range" means not using insert effects such as compressor and EQ? I find these useful when using the condensor mikes.

SdC

Quote from: grolschie on June 01, 2009, 02:43:00 AMThanks SdC. Does "full EQ range" means not using insert effects such as compressor and EQ? I find these useful when using the condensor mikes.
Be careful with eq on insert; you can't later boost in the mix what is not there. Otherwise, there are no rules; you want compression? use it.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Bro

On the Micro br I've recorded roland drumkits in the guitar in stick. I think you can do that on the br-600 too. Not sure though.
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

SdC

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on June 01, 2009, 03:54:14 AMOn the Micro br I've recorded roland drumkits in the guitar in stick. I think you can do that on the br-600 too. Not sure though.
in order to preserve stereo, it's better to use line-in. That is the correct impedance as well. typically, you'd choose a stereo pair of tracks to record to (5/6 or 7/8) but all others can be used  as pairs too.

recorder
Boss BR-600