Main Menu

Just Dust

Started by Greeny, December 18, 2020, 04:40:09 AM

Greeny

Just Dust_Greeny
Time:
0:00
Volume:
An experimental bossanova mess-around, influenced by 60's French Pop by the likes of France Gall but with a dark twist (of course!  ;D). Hofner Verythin (ES-335 style semi hollow), bass, vocals and a strange concoction of electronic Garageband drum sounds that I spent far too long tinkering around with.

a light so bright it tans the shade
atomic gods on the esplanade
jingoism so in vogue
from council blocks to stately homes

consumer goods disintegrate
knuckles labelled love and hate
bossanova through the flowers
thermo-nuclear happy hour

dust
just dust

21 megatons and then the fallout comes

this red sky at night's gonna blow your mind
a shepherd's delight after closing time
bossanova round the block
the sofa shop is half price off

the problem child of enola gay
thrills and spills along the way
the living dead in parking lots
fingernails and forget-me-nots

dust
just dust

21 megatons and then the fallout comes

Ferryman_1957

Wow, I love this! What a great combination of apocalyptic lyrics with a bossanova mess-around (must be a new genre). It reminded me a bit of Lodger-era Bowie but it has your own unique stamp all over it. The guitar, bass and drums sound fab, you've got them combining together really well......but the vocals are rather lost for me. They really carry the song and on my monitors they are just too far in the background to have the full impact they should. I've just jumped over to headphones and although they are a bit louder in the cans, they could be much more upfront for me. The "dust, just dust, 21 megatons...." section is fab but I really want to hear those vocals more......

I still loved it though.

Oldrottenhead

FMGWABP
Absolutely fabulous Tim.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ray Brookes

Love the chord progressions in this song and very nicely produced. I like the abstract lyrics and the imagery they present "the problem child of Enola Gay" "jingo-ism still in vogue" "thermo-nuclear happy hour" ___ great writing, man. Maybe the vox could be a little more up-front to give the meaning of the song more impact; not sure. To me the mix sounds fine as it is.
Ray Brookes

pjd1

love the production on this , you have a talent for writing really good memorable songs with a real message in the lyrics , always a pleasure to listen to your music and ideas great stuff

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

cuthbert

I loved it, and really dig the arrangements on those early France Gall songs. The interesting rhythm track really drives this along, and the Hofner Verythin sounds fab. And of course how the lyrics juxtapose with the sunny arrangement.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

StephenM

well Tim you certainly didn't bodge this now did you! 
yes lets dance while our faces melt into non existence!!!  That is my kind of thinking....great stuff Tim... yes... your lyrical shenanary (not a word, I don't think) not only shows your intelligence level but also the sarcasm, the wit, and the distant fear.  I would suppose that if you had made 20 albums and had a contract and could actually get companies to let you put this stuff out we would be saying "that guy is a musical genius!"  So in the meantime I am just happy I get to have a taste of it up front and personal! 
love your sounds....
and by the way the subject is a bit near and dear to my heart as I actually used to ride those things that could make the world go boom.... what a world!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Mike_S

Love the sweet music to contrast with those dark (brilliant) lyrics, makes them hit all the harder. A great experiment that totally works, really enjoyed it.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

Tsk

You should be on a world tour. You workshy layabout.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

kenny mac

This is off the scale greeny.
Catchy as hell and a top notch mix as well.
All the lyrics don't seem to be there .
I was admiring how clever they were.
Your a star mate.