Christmas in a Small Town

Started by Farrell Jackson, December 07, 2020, 08:36:08 AM

Farrell Jackson

LANDR- FJ X-mas Small Town_eq eq-Aud MedBal
Time:
0:00
Volume:
YuleFest (banner image missing)

Here's one for the YuleFest. I decided to do a happy Christmas song to help usher out this f-upped year of 2020. Credits - Farrell Jackson. 3 tracks Taylor GS Mini. 1 track Squire Jazz Bass. 2 tracks Zoom drum machine percussions. 1 track lead vocal. 3 tracks harmony vocal. 4 tracks backing vocals. LANDR mastering. I think that's it.
Christmas in a Small Town
(v1) The sound from the old church's belfry
The baker's whiff of delicious smells
Gives a sense of calm and belonging
And brings to mind Jingle Bells
(v2) Twinkling lights placed every where
Carefully strung on main street's porches
Cowboy Christmas is just around the corner
Little faces wait to see Santa's horses
(chr) Christmas in a small town
Holds the memories from years past
Christmas in a small town
One can wish they will always last
(interlude)
(v3) The big bell in Foster's circle
Lighting of the Park Christmas tree
The festive blow ups in front yards
The giant snow globe is a main attraction
(repeat V2)
(chr) Christmas in a small town
Holds the memories from years past
One can wish they will always last
Farrell Jackson © 11-25-20
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ray Brookes

Lovely song, Farrell and masterful production skills. Those harmonies/backing vox sound so nice and warm and very nice acoustic guitar playing. A lot of hard work and many hours gone into this track and it's paid off. Great job; well done.
Ray Brookes

StephenM

not only perfect to my ears but just a wonderful song as well...I really lilked the bass guitar harmonies (or it seemed like) and your guitar playing is masterful....really nice picking there.... vocals are spot on... yes...it's perfect.... for the perfect time of year

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: StephenM on December 07, 2020, 07:39:00 PMnot only perfect to my ears but just a wonderful song as well...I really lilked the bass guitar harmonies (or it seemed like) and your guitar playing is masterful....really nice picking there.... vocals are spot on... yes...it's perfect.... for the perfect time of year

Thanks Stephan! I did choose harmony notes for the bass picking. I wasn't sure on the onset whether they would work or not but that's the good thing about having our own studios, we can experiment to high heaven and if it doesn't work we just redo it...again and again and again. Good ears...thanks for noticing!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Frank53

Pretty song, Farrell. Nice sentiment to the lyrics. Great picking and harmonies (as always).
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

StephenM

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on December 07, 2020, 09:02:25 PM
Quote from: StephenM on December 07, 2020, 07:39:00 PMnot only perfect to my ears but just a wonderful song as well...I really lilked the bass guitar harmonies (or it seemed like) and your guitar playing is masterful....really nice picking there.... vocals are spot on... yes...it's perfect.... for the perfect time of year

Thanks Stephan! I did choose harmony notes for the bass picking. I wasn't sure on the onset whether they would work or not but that's the good thing about having our own studios, we can experiment to high heaven and if it doesn't work we just redo it...again and again and again. Good ears...thanks for noticing!

Farrell
lol....yes I sometimes record a part over 20 times or more...I love that undo button...ha...but lately I have been just going to a new virtual track, or new take, depending on what its called on the device I am recording on... and then I eliminate the ones I don't like as i go through them... I think to I like bass a little better than guitar or drums... I really love all 3....but bass harmonies are special! and rare too...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Groundy

Quote from: Frank53 on December 08, 2020, 07:43:26 AMPretty song, Farrell. Nice sentiment to the lyrics. Great picking and harmonies (as always).
What Frank said, well done Farrell.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Ferryman_1957

Brilliant Farrell, this is really well done. I love the acoustic guitar and the way you built the song around the picking patterns. There are some great touches in this, I really liked the repeated "christmas in a small town" with the slightly distant backing vox. The vocals and the harmonies are very effective, and they don't overpower the lovely guitar work (and vice versa). It's beautifully recorded and mixed as well.

The lyrics and sentiment are lovely and very fitting. As someone spending Christmas in a small town, I can only hope it's a bit like your song!

Greeny

So warm and Christmassy. The whole thing is top quality songcrafting. Lovely picking too. Fantastic.