You Raise Me Up (Simpler Recording & Mastering Technique)

Started by des0free, November 05, 2020, 11:12:08 PM

des0free

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I have continued to experiment with recording techniques for guitar + vocal and found one using 3 dynamic mics I think I like even better -- I have posted it in a new thread in the "general recording" discussion board:

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=30263.msg358544#msg358544 

I hope maybe others will also post in that thread comments and their best simultaneous recordings of guitar+vocal and start an interesting discussion of all the methods and gear used and results obtained  :)
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

That first version is excellent. It sounds great. The dry recording isn't bad by any measure. Those built in mics are definitely useable. And the version with reverb only sounds good as well. It just doesn't compare to the first version, imo. Thanks for sharing.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Ferryman

Just a quick additional comment here. First, nice version all round. Version 1 has more "richness" but, compared to versions 2 and 3, it is a bit boomy in places. I'm listening on good quality studio monitors and I would say you need to tame some of the upper bass/mid frequencies a bit from an EQ perspective.

I also listened to the three mic version and I would make the same comment about that - it needs a few eq tweaks to tame a bit of boominess in places. But it does depend what you are listening on - this may not be apparent on more "normal" speakers.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

Quote from: Ferryman on November 12, 2020, 05:34:13 AMJust a quick additional comment here. First, nice version all round. Version 1 has more "richness" but, compared to versions 2 and 3, it is a bit boomy in places. I'm listening on good quality studio monitors and I would say you need to tame some of the upper bass/mid frequencies a bit from an EQ perspective.

I also listened to the three mic version and I would make the same comment about that - it needs a few eq tweaks to tame a bit of boominess in places. But it does depend what you are listening on - this may not be apparent on more "normal" speakers.

and precisely why I need to get some monitors....for that very reason....on my list...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner