STRANGER ON THE SHORE VERSION BERTrender mp3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
InstrumentalFest (banner image missing)

this is a theme normally written for clarinet by Acker Bilk in 1962

I made two versions :

- the final version, in this message
- the preparatory version, before I received the tablature of the arrangement which is by Bert Farroach in the second message

Why 2 versions? ...explanations

I had set out to make a jazz standard "stranger on the shore", normally a theme written for clarinet, but I found on YouTube a nice version in Lap steel guitar by Bert Farroach, in C6 tuning.

on the Steel Guitar Forum website,.there was only the first page of the tablature, I asked Bert for the full score but I hadn't received it when I started working on this piece.

I started with this first page ...and then I realised that there were some harmonic similarities with Charles Trenet's "La Mer" (Beyond the sea).

So I mixed in a kind of entertaining elucubration :

the first two measures: the sound of rain on the VELUX windows of my attic/home studio (for lack of wave noises...)
the first four bars of Trenet's song
the first eight bars of Bert's arrangement
then the next 6 bars of Charles' song
Then, as I didn't have the complete score, I went to improvise on the harmonic grid of La Mer and it's very pleasant in fact to improvise with a C6 tuning by Lap Steel

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Jean Pierre

STRANGER ON THE SHORE VERSUS LA MER MP3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
the preparatory version
...of course it is better to have a Hawaiian shirt and a good rum/coca to enjoy this music

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

bruno

Listened to this earlier on my walk.
This is all about the tone. This sounds fantastic. Very nice playing - but that tone man. Awesome.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600