Main Menu

Long Shadows

Started by Frank53, August 26, 2020, 04:48:16 AM

Frank53

ls_mix1_gain_comp_2_160
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Just a cheerful little ditty about the apocalypse. The first time I used my theremin on a song. All guitars played by my friend Rob Hanlon.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Ray Brookes

"cheerful little ditty" LOL Cheerful or not, Frank this is so well produced and the guitar work is excellent. Cool well-written song. Those theremin instruments are bizarre - where did you get hold of one of those? 
Ray Brookes

Frank53

Thanks Ray. My wife gave me a Moog theremin for Christmas a few years ago (at my suggestion, LOL). She got it as a kit from Musician's Friend. Fully analog circuitry, so once it warms up, you have to make sure the oscillators are tuned properly, then you can attempt to play it. It's like playing fretless air. Watched a few videos, to pick up some technique, but haven't practiced enough yet to get any good at it.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

StephenM

Frank,
I really like what you do...and the guitars are great.... most of the time I don't think too much about lyrics...they take time with me...i hear music first.. and lyrics maybe later...so your music is super!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Kenneth

Definitely a pro recording,  but whew, I  need a stiff drink now!
Nice work!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Redler

So well written, arranged and performed song Frank and Rob! I love atmosphere of this.

Great job on guitars, too. This has a bit 70's vibe, imo. Enjoyable listening!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

hardlock

Epic tale and performance! Love it. Great guitar tones and riffs as well! Killer build at end with the lead harmonies - too cool!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Ferryman_1957

Very nice work indeed. I love the theremin parts, very atmospheric and sounds more like a synth than theremin to me, so you did really well (as they are quite difficult to play I would imagine). Great arrangement, I like the electric piano work and especially the little melodic breaks you interject. The guitars fit really well, some nice harmony parts there and a fab solo in the middle. And I really liked the vocal, especially the clever use of stereo at about 3:15.

As someone that reads a lot of sci-fi and likes prog rock, the subject matter is right up my street!   

Hook

Dude...I want a theremin so bad and this just makes it worse. You really did well with it, right on in pitch. I would maybe bring it up in the mix but my instinct would have been more solo/lead line. I love the way you used it more like a synth part and kept it nicely in the mix but still very recognizable as a theremin. Great song in so many ways brother, well done.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Greeny

A beautifully produced and performed prog epic! Lots of great things going on. I'm especially a fan of the phased electric piano in the right channel. And the 'and on' vocal echo part was a nice touch too. Excellent stuff.