'Shoegazing' by Jemima's Kite

Started by Greeny, May 27, 2009, 07:36:14 AM

Bosko Schwartz

I had heard a lot about this "Greeny" character and how good of a songwriter he is, and how much he inspires others, but hadn't run across any of your posts until now.  I also have had some dialogue with Flash Harry and oldrottenhead, both cool cats.  Now I understand what all the hype is about.  This is a great tune, guys!  I am especially impressed with Flash's bass playing, and its sweet early 90s Nirvana-ish chorus effect.  Also, great guitarwork by both Greeny and ORH, not to mention very solid vocals -- is that you singing, Greeny?  I am assuming this collab was strictly via this forum?  Or do you see each other in "real life?"  If it was a forum-only collab, that makes it even more impressive.  Also, great drum programming!  Who did that?

I will definitely be checking out more of your work, Greeny!  And great job to both ORH and Flash Harry as well!
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Oldrottenhead

what generally happens is greeny does the main music i, then right a lyric and do lead vox then flash adds bass, thats pretty much the story here with greeny adding backing vox.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on May 27, 2009, 11:13:35 PMI had heard a lot about this "Greeny" character and how good of a songwriter he is, and how much he inspires others, but hadn't run across any of your posts until now.  I also have had some dialogue with Flash Harry and oldrottenhead, both cool cats.  Now I understand what all the hype is about.  This is a great tune, guys!  I am especially impressed with Flash's bass playing, and its sweet early 90s Nirvana-ish chorus effect.  Also, great guitarwork by both Greeny and ORH, not to mention very solid vocals -- is that you singing, Greeny?  I am assuming this collab was strictly via this forum?  Or do you see each other in "real life?"  If it was a forum-only collab, that makes it even more impressive.  Also, great drum programming!  Who did that?

I will definitely be checking out more of your work, Greeny!  And great job to both ORH and Flash Harry as well!

Thanks! My solo stuff is usually quite different to what we do with Jemima's Kite, as we can always rely on orh to come up with great vocal melodies and lyrics, leaving me to concentrate on just the guitar parts. Then Flash, as he does on my solo stuff too, just knows exactly how the bass should be. I don't know how it works exactly, but it does! We just have a natural three-way understanding of how the songs should sound.

It is kind of virtual at the moment (3 different BR's and lots of song layers flying around over the internet...) - but we do talk to each other, and Flash and I have gone guitar browsing together in London, lol

The drums came from orh on this one, and I imported them into the BR. We've tried a few things like that, because it gives us different directions outside of the usual BR rhythm patterns.

OsCKilO

The health department should give this recording out with every a packet of prozac they prescribe!

You captured this completely!

Nice one J's Kite!

This is great!!!!!!!

Dont know how i missed this!

Peace

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Ferryman_1957

I love this one, another JK classic for me. Funnily enough I was stuck in my lonely hotel room last night and had been listening to My Bloody Valentine while I was working. I had a few minutes of internet access left so logged on here and decided to take a quick listen to just this track and lo and behold, it could have been writen for me at that moment!  The depth of production here is EXCELLENT, well done, you've captured that swirly, phase-y sound very well. Greeny, you have created a different sound for your guitar work on this one, very good (altho the little Greeny riff is still in there!) and I love the bass sound in particular - fits very well with the musical style. Flash, did you do anything special to get the sound? Great vox as well, great song, great stuff, too many greats in one sentence but that's the trouble with you guys.....

Cheers,

Nigel

Greeny

Thanks Nigel! There's a lot of guitar on this one, and it got darker and more 'indie' sounding as it went through the layers. I tried some palm-muting on this one, which gives the chorus a particular stacatto sound (spelling?!). Guitar-wise, it's one one of my favourite ones so far, because it feels pretty different to anything else we've done (although I've listened to a lot of stuff like this...!). James married the guitar sound with a very fitting vocal, and then came that lovely bass line - again, perfectly in keeping with the theme and feel. 

The Reverend 48

launched

You guys are flowing like mountain springwater right now - playing and putting everything together so well!

The absolute masters of the MBR - It all fits in perfectly. Great playing and vox(Love the backing vox, too!)

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on May 27, 2009, 11:13:35 PMI am especially impressed with Flash's bass playing, and its sweet early 90s Nirvana-ish chorus effect.  

I'm with Bosko here - kick butt, Flash!! Does not sound colored at all. And those notes...

You have a big fan here,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Flash Harry

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on May 29, 2009, 03:13:50 AMFlash, did you do anything special to get the sound?

Nigel,

I have a Alesis Midiverb 4 which has some really good effects. I think that this one was the real room stereo flange, it has quite a reverb on it and the flange effects are confused in the reverb. I put this into a stereo track via line in.

Cheating a bit I know, but the bass effects on the MBR aren't wonderful, probably because of it's target audience.

Quote from: launched on May 29, 2009, 05:21:08 AMYou guys are flowing like mountain springwater right now - playing and putting everything together so well!

The absolute masters of the MBR - It all fits in perfectly. Great playing and vox(Love the backing vox, too!)

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on May 27, 2009, 11:13:35 PMI am especially impressed with Flash's bass playing, and its sweet early 90s Nirvana-ish chorus effect.  

I'm with Bosko here - kick butt, Flash!! Does not sound colored at all. And those notes...

You have a big fan here,

Mark

Thanks Mark, and Bosco. It's the material I have to work with. These guys stretch me every time. Not that I'm complaining!

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Jonesy

Ahhh, shoegaze...  What an odd little scene that was, couldn't ever really get my head around it.  But you guys have taken the vibe of shoegazing and made it far more decipherable, for a start, and melodic.  Top stuff.

Jonesy
"If love is the light, shine a little light down on me..."