Removing Flash card and song count

Started by The Reverend 48, May 26, 2009, 07:35:01 AM

The Reverend 48

I have got into the habit of transferring back and forwards to my PC using the BR wave converter which I think is excellent......
However will keep removing the flash card harm my '600 in any way?

Also on both my MicroBR and my '600 I am on a high song count are the "phantom" songs taking up memory and how can I revert to song 001.....

Thanks for any answers in advance ;)

SdC

I swap out cards all the time. As long as the power is  off, that will never harm the machine.
When the BR-600 is in USB Backup mode, on the PC you can use Windows Explorer or BR Explorermto move entire songs (not WAV files) to/from the PC. That way you can free up  space.
If you want to start fresh (empty card, song0001), you can format the card with the BR-600.

recorder
Boss BR-600

The Reverend 48

SdC That reply was faster than a speeding Bullet..... I thank you

SdC

Oh i forgot to tell: the  song count is kept in the file \ROLAND\BR0\DISKINF2.BR0 but you can't just change that; maybe 64guitars knows if there is a "hack" to reset it. But the "phantom songs" as you call them won't be taking up space so no harm in letting it run up  to 9999 (good luck with that!!!!)

recorder
Boss BR-600

64Guitars

Quote from: 48 on May 26, 2009, 07:35:01 AMI have got into the habit of transferring back and forwards to my PC using the BR wave converter which I think is excellent......
However will keep removing the flash card harm my '600 in any way?

You should always be very careful when inserting the CompactFlash memory card into your BR. I have heard of a few users who managed to bend some pins on the connector inside the BR. Always insert the card perfectly straight and with very light pressure until you feel the holes in the card line up with the pins, then increase the pressure to fully seat the card.

By the way, you can use the BR Wave Converter without removing the memory card from your BR. Just connect the BR via USB and put it into backup mode before starting the BR Wave Converter. It will then see your BR as an external storage device, which is exactly the same way it sees your USB card reader.

QuoteAlso on both my MicroBR and my '600 I am on a high song count are the "phantom" songs taking up memory and how can I revert to song 001.....

The number in the song folder name isn't really a counter. It just gets incremented on each new song to ensure that the folder names are unique. When a song is erased, the song folder is deleted from the memory card. So erased songs don't use any memory card space, regardless of the current song number. When you initialize a memory card, the song number is reset to "0000". And, in the unlikely event that you ever reach "9999", the next song will be "0000" and future songs will be incremented from there.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig