'In Distress' - Kenneth featuring Greeny

Started by Greeny, March 23, 2020, 04:38:00 PM

Greeny

Kenneth and Greeny_In Distress
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Coronavirus (banner image missing)

We've never collaborated before, but Kenneth asked if I'd like to add some vocals to a track of his.

That was yesterday.

Kenneth's backer was so good that I got a bit carried away. Put simply, I absolutely loved what he'd done and it inspired me to do something that ranks amongst my favourite ever musical involvements  :D

Kenneth on everything except vocals. I also added some jazz bass.

Thanks Kenneth. Never saw this one coming! And Kenneth even allowed me to post it (without hearing it... RISKY!!!)

In Distress

just a town of lockdown dark
just a town where you trace the scars
we've been staring at these four walls
we've been waiting for the curtain to fall
the end of act one and the intermission
in the stalls of superstition
a silent film for silent times
so you don't even have to learn your lines

but it's OK - there's no-one watching anyway

listening to the angels cry
still looking for an alibi
nuns with habits they can't confess
at the crossroads in Distress

The streets are empty
the bars are closed
isolation like a crushed black rose
confess your sins under duress

just a town on lockdown now
just a town where the plague's around
Doctor Alfredo has gone to war
Doctor Alfredo knows the score
We're all waiting for the intermission
in the stalls of superstition
a silent film for silent times
so you don't even have to learn your lines

but it's OK - there's  no-one watching anyway

listening to the angels cry
still looking for an alibi
nuns with habits they can't confess

The streets are empty
the bars are closed
isolation like a crushed black rose
confess your sins under duress

Oldrottenhead

Oh my! This is off the scale in it's brilliance. Two of my favourite artists combining to the power of infinity. Absolutely awesome that chorus is giving me goosebumps.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Tangled Wires

Looking at the two names involved here, I knew this was going to be a treat, and this has resulted in a really memorable song of our times.

We were very lucky to collaborate with Kenneth a couple of times a number of years ago, and was, and still am, hugely impressed by the quality of his musical output and how he just seems to have this knack of creating incredibly atmospheric and melodic pieces of music time and time again.

The bass is a beautiful addition, it kind of snakes around those driving drums perfectly, and loving the vocal hooks throughout which are delivered with the usual panache we have become accustomed to over the years.

Just a great collaboration guys.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

This is so good. I love this.

Your vocal Tim is one of he best I have heard from you - and I've heard a lot, but the structure and arrangement of the instrumentation for the track, the choice of timbres is just fabulous.

Bravo, both. This is up there with the absolute best. 
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Groundy

Brilliant Guys, top class writing and performing, well done Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Kenneth

I have to agree, those vocals and lyrics are just as good as it gets.
 Thanks Tim, a real honour for me.

I also love that you mentioned our own Dr. Alfredo, who is very much a hero, and fighting the fight.

In listening to the songs coming from this site lately, I think there is magic in the air. Everyone posting lately has it. I love hearing the response musically to an unprecedented event.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Greeny

Quote from: Kenneth on March 24, 2020, 01:04:46 AMI also love that you mentioned our own Dr. Alfredo, who is very much a hero, and fighting the fight.

Indeed. Just wanted to make a little tribute. He's a genuine hero - as are all the people on the medical frontline of this 'war'.

I wish none of us were living through this, but it's helped knit our little music community closer together.

And it's definitely drawn a kind of musical magic out, right across Songcrafters.

I could actually feel it unfolding first hand on this when I started to hum along to the backing track. Normally you're just relieved to find a 'way in', or a vocal hook of some kind, but this just arrived in a joyous rush and the lyrics almost wrote themselves. Normally I'm a bit 'meh' once I've done a song, but I'm seriously in love with this one. Same as the Kite songs - it's me but not me - I can kind of listen outside myself. If you know what I mean.

Strange times!

Or maybe we all just have cabin fever and are progressively getting madder...

Ferryman_1957

This is really, really good, as I knew it would be. Tim's vocals sounds quite different on this track to his solo work or on the Kite tracks, the music from Kenneth has given Tim a different platform on which to work and there's a softer quality at play here. Maybe the subject matter makes a difference as well.

Kenneth's composition and production work are stellar (as always) and the whole track is superb. It just works so well, and the lyrics are so appropriate for these times. I really liked the shout out for Alfredo. Overall this is another fantastic piece of work and you should both be very proud.

Redler

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on March 23, 2020, 04:55:52 PMOh my! This is off the scale in it's brilliance. Two of my favourite artists combining to the power of infinity. Absolutely awesome that chorus is giving me goosebumps.

Ditto that!!! That chorus is killer! Kenneth is a real wizard to compose / play / produce brilliant backers and Tim writes excellent lyrics / vocals. More please!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hilary

It's one of my favourites too. I'm constantly blown away by the talent on this site and this is no exception.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça