Recording tips for the BR600 (and/or other Boss recorders)?

Started by grolschie, May 20, 2009, 04:18:05 PM

grolschie

Hi there,

Is there a tutorial or thread around with handy settings and procedures for recording, mixing and mastering tracks with these machines? Things and gotchas people have discovered along the way and have shared, FAQs, etc. This would save newbies like me trial and error.

I am looking to record acoustic quitar, vocals and maybe mic my amp at some stage.

Thanks in advance.
grol

Kody

Hey grolschie welcome to the forum!  There's an abundance of tips and tricks within this website...Check the tutorial category.  Also, I'm sure I've seen specifically for the br600 videos on youtube~ If that is the unit you own.  I use a br900 and/or a microbr.  What works best for me is using a mixer in conjunction with the recorders.  This way I can record multiple inputs such as a vocal mic and an acoustic guitar simultaneously.  I use a condenser mic for vocals>run that into the mixer(with phantom power & effects)> Then I run RCA cables out of the mixer>and run the RCA cables to the LINE input of the recorder.  When I use this method, I don't use any of the recorders onboard effects.  This is just something I like to do.  There are many many methods.....If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

grolschie

Thanks Kody. I heard the 2 versions of "If you could only see" that you did. I really liked the newer one where the vocals really stood out. What did you did to make them sound so good - besides great singing.  :)

I reckon it'd be good to have a tricks/tips thread somewhere, not specifically for the BR600, as there would (I guess) be some crossover between the different recorders. :-)

hewhoiscalledj

Greetings Grolschie... and welcome to the wacky world of recording! If this place doesnt get you rolling quickly, we are doing something wrong!!!

Thing is, there is so much to learn about the recording process that you may need some additional help. I must have suggested this countless of times but it will never get old... visit http://www.tweakheadz.com and click on "The Guide." On the left column, you will find everything you need to know and lots more you didnt know you needed to know... LOL. Seriously though, that website along with this one will get you started on the right foot.

As Kody said above, just ask and someone here will be quick to reply.

Peace out brada...

Kody

QuoteWhat did you did to make them sound so good - besides great singing.  Smiley

HAha, thanks!!  It was very simple....The main vocal was recorded simultaneously with the rhythm acoustic guitar...I used a fairly cheap, Samson CO1 large diaphram condenser mic...ran that to my mixer, and used it's built in reverb effect.  I ran the acoustic through a Line 6 Pod XT and then into the mixer... Then I sent the OUTPUT of the mixer to the Micro BR's LINE input... I sat about 1 foot from the mic~ played and sang the song.  After that was recorded, I made sure to leave the mic settings exactly where they were, and just added the harmonies.  I didn't pan anything one way or the other~ just left it as a normal stereo track.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

grolschie

Thanks for the warm welcome and the info guys!

To hewhoiscalledj:
That website is very good. I have bookmarked it. Plenty to read. Thanks. :)

To Kody:
So the guitar has a pickup and is not mic'ed?

Kody

QuoteSo the guitar has a pickup and is not mic'ed?

Yes, on this peticular song I used the guitar's pickup....In most cases though, I prefer to just mic it. BTW, if you don't own a mic, I know the onboard mic for both the BR900 and MBR record an acoustic and vocal surprisingly well!! I'm sure the BR600 is the same way!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

grolschie

Thanks for that. It certainly doesn't sound to me like what I'd associate with a piezo pickup type sound.

The BR600 has stereo condensor mics which sound good.

grolschie

I have been trying to record my acoustic guitar with onboard condenser mics. It seems difficult to record it without picking up my breathing, etc. :) Sounds good, except the slight hiss/noise in the quiet parts, which the noise gate takes care of to some degree. I guess at later mixing stages, this will not be noticable. Figuring out where to set the recording levels seems like trial and error too as I get distortion at times even when there is no red light showing, especially when plugging an electric guitar in. All good though.  :)

hewhoiscalledj

You know, there's a big misunderstanding out there that you MUST record as HOT as possible... From what i've read, this came about from the analog days, but the truth I've learned from other engineers is that you should record at or around -18dbvs when recording digital. This will keep the hiss/noise also known as the "noise floor" down at an unaudible minimum. To make a recording louder in the end, it helps to start it quietly and noise free. When you push the volume later in the mastering stage, it will also increase the noise floor so it helps to not have that hiss to begin with. Try recording with at least mild compression at slightly lower volumes. Here's another helpful link regarding recording acoustic guitar and the challenges that brings:  http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=70700

Practice your breathing or just cover up with a towel/tshirt to avoid the breathing noises. I feel your pain there as it's tough to not get excited breathing during hot and heavy transitions to quieter phrases. I also have trouble not tapping my feet while recording.