Mastering hangup

Started by Luos, May 17, 2009, 07:25:16 PM

Luos

Hello all,
I'm brand new to the forum, and I hope I'm not posting something redundant, but I browsed around the archives and couldn't find quite this problem discussed...
I've been trying to get a good vocal track out of my Micro BR, much to my frustration. Finally, in a huge headsmack "duh" moment, I realized I could just record my vocal dry and fiddle with the effects until I got a sound I was satisfied with. The other tracks were already recorded with the Input <normal> function, so I set the effect location to Track 4, where my vocals reside. I set the levels and reverbs on each track got everything sounding good... but now when I go to master the song, I think I'm losing the effects that I had on my vocal track. Is there a way to permanently imprint effects onto a track that was recorded dry? Or is there at least a way to retain the effect in mastering?

~Luos

Blooby

Bounce it to two tracks while printing your vocal effects, and then you can master it.

I'm 99% sure you can't have any effects going while you're using the mastering section.

If I'm wrong, others will chime in shortly.

Peace.

Blooby

64Guitars

In Mastering mode, the Mastering Tool Kit effect patch bank is selected and you can't change it to a different bank. So, there's no way to apply insert effects to a track in mastering mode. However, you can apply reverb in mastering mode because it's a loop effect, not an insert effect.

As Blooby said, you should use Bounce Mode to copy either the individual vocal track(s) or the current 4-track mix to another v-track or v-track pair while applying the desired insert effects. Then you can include these wet v-tracks in the mix instead of the dry ones when mastering.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ferryman_1957

What they said. I use mastering effects a lot on vocals and bass tracks. I particularly use the eq to "fatten up" the tracks after I have recorded. I typiucally record vocals with a vocal effect on and then bounce the recorded vocal to another track using mastering effects to get the eq just right.

Cheers,

Nigel

Luos

Thanks everyone! You have been a huge help. Problem solved in less than 12 hours. :-)

Bluesberry

What Ferryman posted is really a great idea.  On the Micro you can't eq individual tracks to suit your taste, unless you do it like he suggests.  This little trick just makes the micro even more tweakable and flexible.  You can do a whole lot, you just have to thing outside the box a bit (outside the manual) and that is why this forum is so great, we are all learning from each other.  I would say just watch out with the compression and maybe shut it off for this eq tweak so you dont end up over compressing your tracks (unless that is what you are after).

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand