'Songs from the Seventies' - A Greeny Monday Original

Started by Greeny, June 11, 2018, 02:06:15 AM

Greeny

01b_Songs from the Seventies_TIM GREEN
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Originally written on piano, but I just couldn't play it well enough to record it like that. So I worked out how to transpose it onto guitar, and here we are. Features a few layers of my Fender MiM Strat, plus Precision Bass, vocals, slide guitar, and Garageband drums, synths, electric piano, organs and strings. All recorded and mixed on the MBR.

Songs from the Seventies

we're a long way from morning
we're a long way from youth
we're a long way from Marrakesh
but i love you, that's the truth

there's a curse on the mirror
it makes me look kind of old
but we're got each other
and some vinyl AM gold
so hold on to me like a rolling stone

it's you and me
baby it's you and me
on this rainy night with songs from the seventies
it's you and me
baby it's you and me
turn the record over and come and lay close to me

there's no god in the heavens
there's no hope for mankind
but there's no fog in the channel
that can cut us off tonight

be my light in the lighthouse
be my halogen sun
be my shiny football sticker
that i show to everyone
I'm waiting for the starting gun

it's you and me
baby it's you and me
on this rainy night with songs from the seventies
it's you and me
baby it's you and me
turn the record over and come and lay close to me

Oldrottenhead

Magic, I am curious to know the songs of the seventies you and yours were listening to.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman_1957

I would guess "Marrakesh Express" and "Like a Rolling Stone" were a couple of those songs...... I have a song part written which is an homage to the psychedelic/prog songs of the late 60s/early 70s that I grew up with and the lyrics are plays on words of the song titles, so it looks like Tim beat me to this idea!

As a child of the 70s, I had to jump straight in and listen to this one. I really like the gentle groove and the organ, which gives it that early 70s feel. Lovely vocals and harmonies, and the tremolo-y guitar also adds a lovely sheen to it. What a lovely start to Monday, thanks Tim!

Farrell Jackson

I like the nostalgic tone of this one Tim! The reference to songs of the 70's in the lyric is a good concept. Great vocals and guitars!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

hooper

I especially like the vocal harmony on the chorus and the instrumental backing around that part, lots of vintage flavor there...
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

Redler

I listened to this twice. Great job with this - the chorus is both beautiful and cathcy...simple and catchy. Enjoyable listening while having my morning coffee!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on June 11, 2018, 03:28:57 AMMagic, I am curious to know the songs of the seventies you and yours were listening to.

Paul Simon, George Harrison, Jackson Browne, 10CC. I veer towards that kind of stuff.

I've been obsessed with George's 1970 album 'Everything Must Pass' for a while, so that's been on heavy rotation.

Everyone is fed up with Paul Simon's 'Late in the Evening' though.

SE

Yes lots to like, organ and tremelo guitar  work great together, put this together with a well written and performed song and you've got a winner, excellent stuff!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

cuthbert

Sorry to be late getting to this - its very fine indeed. You've got the magic touch, Tim - love the guitars (that lead is fantastic and Harrisonesque) and organ used in the chorus. And it remains amazing that you can record and mix all this with the MBR. Another great song!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Gritter

Love all the little touches, a very enjoyable listen - lots to stimulate the ears but never busy sounding. This is real good and firmly stuck in my head!