Compatible SD Cards

Started by Pedro, December 30, 2007, 03:50:44 PM

Mach

Quote from: henwrench on December 30, 2009, 10:16:23 AM
Quote from: scottieD on December 22, 2009, 02:48:11 PM2 GB Sandisk - no problems.

Now that is interesting.

henwrench

I got the Sandisk 1GB. I understand that the MBR is equipped to take up to a 2GB but for some reason will not recognize it as 2 gigs of storage. Why's that? It will only recognize 1 gig of the 2?
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Quote from: Mach on December 31, 2009, 09:00:22 AMI got the Sandisk 1GB. I understand that the MBR is equipped to take up to a 2GB but for some reason will not recognize it as 2 gigs of storage. Why's that? It will only recognize 1 gig of the 2?

It's my understanding (never tried it) that the MBR may work with a 2GB card, but only recognizes 1GB and that this is a limitation of the SD card reader hardware itself - it only supports up to 1GB.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on December 31, 2009, 09:29:44 AMIt's my understanding (never tried it) that the MBR may work with a 2GB card, but only recognizes 1GB and that this is a limitation of the SD card reader hardware itself - it only supports up to 1GB.

Actually, it's not a limitation of the hardware. It's a limitation of the BR's operating system which uses the FAT16 file system for storage. For the technical explanation, see the FAQ on my website.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Glenn Mitchell

Quote from: 97teledlx on January 13, 2008, 05:04:08 PMReceived my free SD card yesterday.  Seems to be working fine!! Would like to try a larger card at some future date.

What was this about "free" SD cards?
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

kumale

I've had incredible problems with TRANSCEND SD card==> >:(

Now i'm working with a generic SD card bought online
(http://www.thomann.de/ie/thomann_sd_card_1gb.htm)
and it works fine==> ;D!

I can confirm that MicroBR performances (mainly if you're not able to do the sw upgrade)
are really dependent from the different SD card!

Boss Micro BR

Thought you all would be amused that I have a "Connect 3D Secure Digital 4GB" card that works fine on the MBR once I initialized it on the MBR. Examining the card afterwards I find that it now has a primary partition of just under 1GB and the rest of the space (almost 3GB) is unallocated. Boss's latest compatibility list has several 2GB cards on it but warns you that they will be permanently 1GB if initialized on the MBR - not true, I had no problem formatting it back to 4GB and back again to MBR compatible. This card I have is one of the rather rare non-SDHC 4GB cards they made just before the SDHC cards came out and is kinda a bastard as non-SDHC cards are only "standard" up to 2GB - I bought it to use in a Noika N800 that is compatible with it but has since has its firmware upgraded to work with SDHC cards too.

If you want a free tool to examine the 1GB partition created by the MBR on your 2GB cards this one works great:
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

BTW Windows supports FAT16 drives up to 4GB in size:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310561

Bought a sandisk 4gb SDHC (SDSDB-004G-B35) this evening and only found out afterwards about he
limitations due to the file system. Tried formatting it as FAT16 but still wouldn't work.

Bummer.

Luckily, I had a Lexar multi-use 2GB SD card lying about that worked after formatting as FAT16. I presume from the other posts that only 1gb will be useable though.

I've just recently bought a Boss Micro BR and happily my 2GB SD cards work just fine.  I did also update to firmware v1.04 just as a precaution.  They are a Sandisk Extreme III SD 2GB SD card BE0710102992B and a Veho 2GB SD card I3H2G-083203.  They are initialised by the Boss Micro BR as FAT-16 with 1GB capacity.