Hopes - In Remembrance 11/11/11

Started by OsCKilO, May 13, 2009, 03:41:47 PM

Greeny

You're giving it a bit of Peter Gabriel on this one, orh... feels like it's going to break into 'Don't Give Up' at certain points. But you have that storytelling knack and tone - just like Donovan on 'Atlantis'. This is really great, guys. And the words are spread very nicely across the music - a perfect fit.

Oldrottenhead

QuoteYou're giving it a bit of Peter Gabriel on this one, orh...
i was thinking/trying peter hammill but missed by a mile lol
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

Quote from: Ted on May 14, 2009, 10:51:37 PMLater, I told Max that he's young and can be forgiven for having asked, but you learn in life not to ask for first-hand accounts of war horrors.  And if they are offered, you listen not with envy, but with compassion.

Amen Ted......
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Ferryman

Very considered collaboration, it works very well and is very thoughtful. I think the vox get lost a little in places which is a pity because of the power of the words, but the vocal is very well done and conveys the emotion of the poem well.

Both my grandfathers went through WWI. One died before I was born but the other I knew well. He was wounded at Gallipoli, served with Allenby all through the Palestinian campaign and then ended the war on the Western Front. He must have been through some pretty tough times and was on active service for the best part of four years, yet he never spoke a word about it. My mum used to tell of how her father (my other grandfather who I didn't know) suffered ill health and nightmares from his service on the Western Front, and how firework celebrations were a bad time for him. We should never forget the sacrifice so many made, and the sacrifice that young men are still making today. Pieces like this make us think, thanks for doing something with a serious edge.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI think the vox get lost a little in places
i totally agree with you on that nigel, it was a daunting task to take on wilfred owen's words, despite knowing the poem well, i think i bit off more than i could chew
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

I don't think you did but I'd imagine it's hard to say/sing such powerful words without feeling a bit self conscious and perhaps "pulling" the performance a bit. I wasn't sure about this to start with because of the serious subject matter but I've listened to it several times and I think it does work.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

I think you did a grand job Jim.....

You did all any of us could do.........  Read his poem and try to understand and illustrate what was written/lived....for the benifit of those who dont remember.

I was 22 when I went on Willies Somme trip....

I didn't have a clue about the horrors that occurred near on a century ago before I went on Willie's battle field trips..... Both sets of my grandparents lived thorough the era, but died before I was born, and did not pass on their recollections.

There was a distinct lack of input for us re the subject in my East London schooling. We would wear a Poppy that was bought for pennies, on the days leading up to Remembrance Sunday, knowing nothing of why we made this statement....

I come from a generation where the most that we were likely know about what happened, came from our contact with video games and mainstream movies.

The majority of these games promote the "glory" of war and not much else.......
If you die in the game, all you have to do is "click" continue to carry on.......
The lessons had been lost.....

The events which took place shook mankind like nothing before.....
Lessons were learned as a result and also a promise made..... 

"Lest we forget....."

Looking around the streets I walk daily, I can truly say that the memory of what happened is critically fading in the most recent generation. Everything that these brave men battled for is being flaunted with little gratitude or heed to their sacrifice. 

We need people like Willie and Jim, who have the bottle give it a try to tell about what happened, through the eyes of the soldiers that went through the ordeals.

My generation and books, don't seem to mix......

As Musicians, we are Story-tellers..... The Guitarist originated from this trade....
The veterans from WW1 are very few in number now and cannot pass the message on themselves......... I think that it is right that we give them a hand, as they once did for us.

Peace

and well done Jim....

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

OsCKilO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Lzo_EXXOQ

Have just been on Youtube to see if someone had ever tried to do this before....

I was disgusted with what I found......

To use these powerfull words to "Glorify" the carnage.....

The pause in the verse to savour the bloodshed!

This is why I said you did the poem/account justice Jim!!!

I just heard those powerful words read without meaning.....

I'm sorry if this video offended anyone.....

It did me....

Peace

Osckilo

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Facemask93

I truly do not know what to say other than-----the hairs 0n the back of my neck are still standing to attention--what an amazing poem , you made it come alive---i once worked for an old guy ,who told me a story( after asking him about his house number 13 being unlucky)he told me about losing all his comrades going over the top and him being amongst a handfull of survivers---he had previously been given the number 13!--

Facemask93

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper