Editing question

Started by little_chick, May 10, 2009, 01:09:07 PM

little_chick

While I was reading through the manual I thought of a question.

Say you're recording something and make a little flub, and go on recording.  The way the manual reads, you can cut out the flub, but it will just be an empty space on the recording.  It doesn't join the ends before and after the flub.  So, what do you do?

Would you need to do further tweaking on a computer?

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

You do leave a hole. The trick is to keep going and not to miss a beat, then you can use the auto punch utility to record over the bum notes. I have to use it all the time!

It's easy, you play the piece, find where you made the mistake and mark the A point by pushing the A-B button, keep going to the end of the mistake and push the A-B button again, you will be prompted for what you want to do, select A-Punch. Stop the recorder, scroll to before the mistake, push play and record and work over your mistake. Recording will start and stop automatically. It sounds complicated but it is easy once you get the hang of it.

Good luck
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

little_chick

Oh, okay.  So don't stop and correct the mistake, just keep going and fix it later.  So, does it sound fairly seamless, then.  Is it very obvious where you did the patch?

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: little_chick on May 10, 2009, 05:11:54 PMOh, okay.  So don't stop and correct the mistake, just keep going and fix it later.  So, does it sound fairly seamless, then.  Is it very obvious where you did the patch?
I can be noticeable, depending on the context of the punch-in.  If you punch in right in the middle of a long sustained note, you're more likely to notice the punch than if the playing is more rhythmic.

Another thing I make sure is to do my punching during the same session--before I twiddle any knobs or shut anything down.  Otherwise my instrument (or your voice) is likely to sound a little different and likely it will be noticeable.

If the part that I flubbed repeats later in the song but I get it right the next time, sometimes I'll just copy the good part to the measure where I initially messed up.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

little_chick

Thanks for the tips, Ted! 

I'm recording rhythm for a collab with another guitarist who's playing lead, so that should work out fine.  I'll post my rhythm part and then the finished product when we get it done.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Glenn Mitchell

Good advice Ted and Harry and the AB punch is an essential tool to master. You do get pretty good at it in a short time and it's fun.
However, do consider doing a retake on V2,3,4 etc first.
It's all fun and good skill-making but one skill goal should be the ability to get it right in one take.
I tell myself the song is not "mine" until I've done it so many times that I can do it with feeling and without obvious errors.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Ted

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on May 11, 2009, 08:15:59 AMIt's all fun and good skill-making but one skill goal should be the ability to get it right in one take.
I tell myself the song is not "mine" until I've done it so many times that I can do it with feeling and without obvious errors.
Well, I kind of agree with that.  My main instrument is bass, and I tend to get that in one take.  But when I'm putting down a guitar, keyboard, or vocal part, I reserve the right to punch, copy, paste, loop, slice, and dice the best bits together.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

little_chick

I agree with you both.  ;D

Fancy editing shouldn't be a substitute for practicing until perfect, but it's nice to have a little help available to get you through.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Glenn Mitchell

True, if you get that perfect take, say on a chorus, don't hesitate to copy and paste for all your choruses (chori?).
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Flash Harry

Quote from: M_Glenn_M on May 11, 2009, 08:11:39 PMTrue, if you get that perfect take, say on a chorus, don't hesitate to copy and paste for all your choruses (chori?).

Oh no! that takes all the organics out of it!
    :-\
Sing and play every one!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.