'Mothership' - New version of a Greeny original featuring Flash Harry

Started by Greeny, September 15, 2017, 09:12:46 AM

Greeny

MOTHERSHIP_TIM GREEN_feat MIKE FIFE_redux3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hello friends.

This is new version of a song that's a few years old, but one I've always liked. Mike (Flash Harry) was looking for a song to practice his Chapman Stick skills on, and this one immediately sprang to mind (it was just guitars and mandolin in its original form). He was going to put bass on it once upon a time too.

So we lashed it all together. It's a bit ramshackle because I didn't use a click track: the tempo and rhythm pattern changes a few times. I think it sounds more 'folky' like this though  ::) :D

Features acoustic guitars, vocals, mandolin, tambourine, shakers and virtual tablas by me, and Mike on Chapman Stick. All recorded on the mighty MBR.

If you don't know what a chapman stick is, check them out. Looks scary! Mike recommends Peter Gabriel sidekick Tony Levin as a starting point.

Oh... and some new Kite stuff on the way  ;D

Lots of listening and commenting to catch up on.

Farrell Jackson

A very cool and folksy song Greeny! From what I've seen and heard Chapman Sticks are quite a complicated instruments to play. Kudos to Mike for taking charge of one. Great playing and singing! It good to hear a new Greeny toon!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

cuthbert

Sounds fantastic, Tim.

Must admit I don't know much about the Chapman stick, but considering the big players out there, I didn't expect it would fit in so well with a folk-style tune. But then again, it is Mike playing it - he's a musical wizard.

folk-pop-alicious!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

bruno

Instant smiles. Super collab.
Chapman sticks are complex beasts to tame :-) ... way to go Mike - more please!
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Redler

So fine and melodic song with beautiful harmonies! Loved this right from the start. Great collab gents!

Piepod bound!

(Had to check the Chapman stick out...)
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike_S

All those instruments blend beautifully. It does actually sound quite live. Great song very well crafted.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hook

Well done here, I too want to hear more chapman stick from you Flash! Great production here.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

kenny mac

Fu** me this is brilliant and all done on that wee box the might BR.
Astounding.
You guys are excellent performer's. ....top notch.
This could be straight off a new crowded house album.
Welcome back Tim ,and Mike that Chapman stick is lovely.
Bravo guys.