Online Bands - How?

Started by ODH, August 04, 2017, 04:48:15 AM

Hilary

What was the fest Nick and why don't you still do it?

Just ask a few people and see where it takes you.

Maybe we could have a songcrafter onlineband fester at some point.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

bruno

I did try to experiment with online jamming - however the killer is always latency. It can be reduced by clever work arounds - however its a tough one to crack. So online bands tend to have to work outside the normal real time nature of a band. Very much like collabs, sharing wav files. It takes some organisation, but people tend to assume roles (which is great). You need someone as the central point to bring it all together, to generate the spark, the ideas - and see it through to completion, but its very, very cool. And the results are alway surprising, like any collab. To quote Forrest Gump "You never know what you're gonna get". In my experience, its always way better than you can imagine, and never what you expect! The sum is greater than the parts.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

bostjan

To me, the "magic" of live jamming is still there in online jamming with file swaps, it's just reduced to glacial pace.

Live:
"Hey check out this riff."
"Cool, I got something that goes with that."
"Hey that's pretty cool, too.  That gives me an idea for a variation."
"Let me join in"
"This is a fun jam - but I think I can make this into a cool song with a few changes.  What do you guys think of this... going into this?"
"That's okay, but maybe if we change the feel to half time on the second part."

Online:
"Hey check out this riff."
the next day
"Cool, I got something that goes with that."
the day after
"Hey that's pretty cool, too.  That gives me an idea for a variation."
a month later
"Let me join in"
a week later
"This is a fun jam - but I think I can make this into a cool song with a few changes.  What do you guys think of this... going into this?"
the day after that
"That's okay, but maybe if we change the feel to half time on the second part."