Power Supply

Started by Scorpios, December 29, 2007, 07:51:57 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: maxpayne86 on March 20, 2008, 09:38:15 AM
Quote from: Renegade on March 15, 2008, 09:44:35 AMI have a Danelectro Zero Hum, that says it is 9.6V and 200mA

I think 9.6 DC is not the proper voltage for your micro br.

Actually, the output of the Boss PSA adapter is rated at 9.6 volts, so the Danelectro Zero Hum adapter should work just fine if its output is regulated and the polarity's correct. When this question came up in another group a while back, I wrote to Danelectro but didn't get a reply. So I don't know if the Danelectro's output is regulated or not.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

maxpayne86

It's very strange: boss says use only PSA adapters 9V DC and products

PSA adapters with 9.6V DC output. In addiction Boss says that this recorder is very sensitive about voltage ripple and suggest to be careful in the choice of a power supply.

Finally me and others use with no problems the boss micro BR with a stabilized power supply of 9V DC.

Who says the truth?

regulated DC is regulated DC but there are many way to regulate DC voltage but if it's regulated the right way any power suply with the correct polarity make the job. 

Ed_R

Waht's interesting to me is that the PSA-120 is a 9-volt adapter but the BR only uses 3 volts in batteries?

maxpayne86

Quote from: Ed_R on March 22, 2008, 11:39:15 PMWaht's interesting to me is that the PSA-120 is a 9-volt adapter but the BR only uses 3 volts in batteries?

Infact, if you lower the voltage, then you must grow the current. Micro Br uses 9V DC 140mA max or 3V but around 500mA. This is the reason batteries discarge very quickly.

I use most for guitar, with effect and registration tools after one hour it's completely discarged. With Sony batteries...!

I think the use of an adapter is recommended

maxpayne86

Quote from: rouleau on March 22, 2008, 09:36:59 AMregulated DC is regulated DC but there are many way to regulate DC voltage but if it's regulated the right way any power suply with the correct polarity make the job. 

In the Micro BR manual it's written 9V DC and I refer to this. I don't think a regulated power supply of 20 V DC is ok, the voltage MUST be 9V! The current may vary between a min (150mA) and a max, even 10A but the dispositive takes how current he needs. If you apply a bigger voltage or a voltage peak to the BR you burn it.

SteveG

Invest a few pounds in a plugin charger and 4 rechargable AA's, keep 2 in the unit and 2 on charge.

steamfurnace

I bought a power supply from Guitar Center last fall that was basically designed as a generic version of the PSA 120 for half the price.  The box even says as much!  It has worked just fine, too. 

If the manual states a 9V DC Power supply. Do not use 20V. Use 9V DC only
Check any PSU you use is DC and not AC
Also check the polarity, do not reverse the connection.
Do not under rate the current (I) or you you may get a very hot PSU which will not work properly or fail completely.

regards

James