Power Supply

Started by Scorpios, December 29, 2007, 07:51:57 AM

drutgat

Quote from: flashharry on October 11, 2008, 07:05:52 AM
Quote from: drutgat on October 10, 2008, 02:06:03 PMNow, what happens if I want to take the unit from N. America to the U.K.? Can I just use an adapter plug to plug in the Boss adapter into the wall in the U.K.? Or, even if I'm only using recharchable batteries, can I safely plug the battery charger in when I'm in the U.K.?
You're likely to destroy your charger and your PSU and you run the risk of blowing anything that you have plugged into your PSU too.

We use 240V here, the US is 110. You need to buy a PSU and charger designed for the British market, or get a stepdown transformer for your kit.

You are looking at about £30 for a charger and a PSU here.
Thanks for your reply Flashharry.

Just to clarify, does that mean that if I purchased a charger designed for the British market, I could use it with my U.S. made Micro BR when I am travelling in the U.K.?

This reply is topical because today I showed the Micro BR to an Australian friend of mine (they use 220-240V in Australia, like they do in the U.K.). This friend travels the world a lot and could make use of the unit professionally. He really liked the Micro BR, but I said that I would clarify the voltage/regulated mains adapter question.

Also, can I take my battery recharger to the U.K. and plug it in there (via a plug adapter, of course)?

Thanks

Flash Harry

Hi,

Yes. The Roland PSU is designed to provide around 9 volts to the MBR. If you get one for use in the US and another for Europe/Australasia you should have it covered. The MBR doesn't care where it is provided the PSU is designed for the local supply.

Basically, its the power supply that is sensitive to local voltage variations.

Then you will be able to use adaptors around the world, depending on the local AC supply.

Your battery charger has to be able to operate correctly on 240V

I hope this makes sense.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

drutgat

Quote from: flashharry on October 11, 2008, 03:34:35 PMHi,

Yes. The Roland PSU is designed to provide around 9 volts to the MBR. If you get one for use in the US and another for Europe/Australasia you should have it covered. The MBR doesn't care where it is provided the PSU is designed for the local supply.

Basically, its the power supply that is sensitive to local voltage variations.

Then you will be able to use adaptors around the world, depending on the local AC supply.

Your battery charger has to be able to operate correctly on 240V

I hope this makes sense.
Flashharry,
Thanks for this.

At the risk of sounding even dumber than I am (and I know nothing about this topic, obviously), what do you mean by the battery charger having to be able to operate correctly on 240V? Would the charging unit indicate somewhere that it operates both on 110 and 240V?

Flash Harry

Hi

Some battery chargers, those used for digital cameras, laptops etc, may be able to work on a wide range of voltages, but the cheap chargers, the sort that come 'free' with rechargeable batteries are likely to be single voltage, i.e. designed for the American or for the UK/European markets.

There will be a marking on the unit somewhere telling you of the suitable supply voltage  for the charger, if there isn't I wouldn't buy it.

To be safe, buy a charger for the US and another one for the UK.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

drutgat

Quote from: flashharry on October 23, 2008, 03:26:15 AMHi

Some battery chargers, those used for digital cameras, laptops etc, may be able to work on a wide range of voltages, but the cheap chargers, the sort that come 'free' with rechargeable batteries are likely to be single voltage, i.e. designed for the American or for the UK/European markets.

There will be a marking on the unit somewhere telling you of the suitable supply voltage  for the charger, if there isn't I wouldn't buy it.

To be safe, buy a charger for the US and another one for the UK.
Thanks.

Oldrottenhead

i may have said this on this thread or another similar thread, but i bought a power supply and have never used it, maybe i should punt it on ebay, i use powerfull rechargable batteries and a pack of 4 can give me at least 8 hours continuois playback without recharging. i have one set in mbr and the other on charge.batteries i use are ni-mh 2800mah. the higher the mah the longer they last before needing recharged. i got a 4 pack of ebay for under a tenner not long after buying my mbr and they are still going strong , one other disadvantage of a power supply is that there is another wire/lead to deal with.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

drutgat

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 24, 2008, 04:08:46 AMi may have said this on this thread or another similar thread, but i bought a power supply and have never used it, maybe i should punt it on ebay, i use powerfull rechargable batteries and a pack of 4 can give me at least 8 hours continuois playback without recharging. i have one set in mbr and the other on charge.batteries i use are ni-mh 2800mah. the higher the mah the longer they last before needing recharged. i got a 4 pack of ebay for under a tenner not long after buying my mbr and they are still going strong , one other disadvantage of a power supply is that there is another wire/lead to deal with.
I've been using rechargeable batteries for years, and was very surprised recently that - as per your experience oldrottenhead - my 2700 mah batteries last for a LONG time (as you said, about 8 hours), whereas the 900 Mah's last for barely an hour or longer.

drutgat

I actually got something wrong in my last post.

The 2700 mAH batteries I have (made by a company called CTA, model no. DB-27AA) are the ones that only last a couple of hours, as do some others I have (don't have them with me right now). However the 2000 mAH (not even 2700) Duracell HR6 DX1500 NiMH are still going after hours and hours of use. I can't quite believe this.

Now, maybe the fact that I'm using the Duracell's with a Duracell charger which I just bought has something to do with this, too, but I must say, I'm amazed.

What does anyone else think, or what have you experienced in terms of chargers making a difference?

Oldrottenhead

are the ni- mh or ni-cd. the ones i use are ni-mh dont know if it makes a difference but they are unbranded.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

drutgat

Quote from: oldrottenhead on October 28, 2008, 01:42:47 PMare the ni- mh or ni-cd. the ones i use are ni-mh dont know if it makes a difference but they are unbranded.
I'm using NiMH batteries - would never even think of using Nicad batteries (are they still even available?) because of the much more pronounced memory affect. Still, I wish that they'd make LiOn rechargeables readily availalble - but then, sales would probably plummet because they last so much longer than NiMH's and have no appreciable memory at all.