Power Supply

Started by Scorpios, December 29, 2007, 07:51:57 AM

Indiana

Quote from: Ed_R on March 22, 2008, 11:39:15 PMWaht's interesting to me is that the PSA-120 is a 9-volt adapter but the BR only uses 3 volts in batteries?

I've been using a Casio 7.5 volt supply for a couple of months and have had no problems.
<><

guitarron

ooo -
that looks like trouble-seriously

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

i guess thats alright-my boss power supply has a 9v output

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hey guys, just to clarify a few things:

9V and 9.6V is the same thing, in most cases.

0.6V is nothing, in the scheme of things...

I have not looked inside my Micro BR yet, but my guess is that it has inside some regulator such as 7805 which will step 9V down to 5V, maybe even further down with 3V3 Zener diode..

This is the most logical case..

If that is the case, then you can power your Micro BR with anything from 9V to 15V DC quite safely.

Obviously this should be a well stabalised supply: bridge rectifier, smooting capacitor with low ripple.

I have powered mine with a £1.99 "wall wart" transformer with no problem (like any other giutar electronics).

I am guessing other people have had problems due to connecting wither 20V DC laptop chargers (same size connector as micro BR), or they have used reversed polarity which will blow up the internal regulator. Anyway, that is an easy fix  ;)

I hope this can help some confused people  :)

Flash Harry

I tried a cheap alternative, correct voltage, correct current rating, but the power plug that Roland use is a bit non-standard and the adaptor I had kept losing connection with the MBR. This meant that as the batteries failed I ran the risk of losing everything. Frustrating when it happens.

£20 is worth keeping your work and your sanity. I bought a genuine PSU and I have not regretted it.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

guitarron

Quote from: flashharry on October 08, 2008, 07:42:10 AM£20 is worth keeping your work and your sanity. I bought a genuine PSU and I have not regretted it.

agreed-get the store to throw one in when you purchase- even better

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

drutgat

Quote from: SteveG on March 23, 2008, 10:49:15 PMInvest a few pounds in a plugin charger and 4 rechargable AA's, keep 2 in the unit and 2 on charge.
That's what I do (and it makes you feel good about the environment, too).

Still, I always have my Micro BR handy, so it makes sense for me to purchase an adapter. Just want to figure out from the posts here if I can use a generic 9V.

drutgat

Quote from: drutgat on October 10, 2008, 01:56:27 PM
Quote from: SteveG on March 23, 2008, 10:49:15 PMInvest a few pounds in a plugin charger and 4 rechargable AA's, keep 2 in the unit and 2 on charge.
That's what I do (and it makes you feel good about the environment, too).

Still, I always have my Micro BR handy, so it makes sense for me to purchase an adapter. Just want to figure out from the posts here if I can use a generic 9V.
From reading the posts above, I think I'll stick with a store bought Boss unit.

And if something happens to it, at least I'll have a 'model' for what to look for in terms of reversed polarity and so on.

Better safe than songless.

Now, what happens if I want to take the unit from N. America to the U.K.? Can I just use an adapter plug to plug in the Boss adapter into the wall in the U.K.? Or, even if I'm only using recharchable batteries, can I safely plug the battery charger in when I'm in the U.K.?

Flash Harry

Quote from: drutgat on October 10, 2008, 02:06:03 PMNow, what happens if I want to take the unit from N. America to the U.K.? Can I just use an adapter plug to plug in the Boss adapter into the wall in the U.K.? Or, even if I'm only using recharchable batteries, can I safely plug the battery charger in when I'm in the U.K.?

You're likely to destroy your charger and your PSU and you run the risk of blowing anything that you have plugged into your PSU too.

We use 240V here, the US is 110. You need to buy a PSU and charger designed for the British market, or get a stepdown transformer for your kit.

You are looking at about £30 for a charger and a PSU here.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.