Power Supply

Started by Scorpios, December 29, 2007, 07:51:57 AM

Scorpios

Does anyone know if the MICRO BR is dual voltage?

I bought mine from the states, came with the adapter but it is American/110 voltage. I can plug it in here as I have a few power transformers, but that just adds a big heavy box to lug around.

I have some equipment that on the back will say for power supply the voltage (either 110 or 220, or for dual voltage 110-220).

Basically I am wondering if I get the right adapter that is for 220 outlets like in Germany and most of EUrope, if that would work... I know if it is NOT dual voltage, I can easily fry my micro br. So I will be very hesitant to do this until I am 101% sure.

I didn't see anything in the manuals specs for this, would be a nice convenience though if it can work.

64Guitars

The Micro BR requires a regulated 9-volt DC power supply capable of supplying at least 200mA. Boss recommends their PSA series AC adapters. In America, you'd use the PSA-120 which is designed for a 120 volt electrical system. In other countries, you can buy the PSA-230 or PSA-240, depending on your country's electrical system. All of the PSA series adapters produce 9 volts, regulated DC at 200mA. Only the input (AC) voltage is different for different country's electrical systems. The PSA adapter is the same adapter used with most Boss effects pedals. So they're widely available from most dealers that sell Boss pedals. And the price is pretty reasonable. You could use a different make of adapter, but it must be regulated 9 volts and the polarity and size of the plug must be correct. I've read in other forums of users who have fried their Micro Br by using the wrong adapter. It isn't worth the risk, so I think it's best to just buy the appropriate PSA adapter for your country.
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pedro

Like 64Guitars said the BOSS PSA are not dual voltage. That's why there are two versions of it. The 120V for USA and the 230V for Europe. The Micro BR itself is not dual voltage either, it just works with one voltage and that is 9V. The PSA-230 by BOSS can be found on http://www.thomann.de/gb/boss_psa_230.htm and costs 22.90 €.

I use another 230V to 9V adapter set with the right polarity and size. Never had any problems, but I don't recommend to do this.

Scorpios

Thanks for the info, just what I needed to know.

maxpayne86

Quote from: admin on December 29, 2007, 09:13:31 AMI use another 230V to 9V adapter set with the right polarity and size. Never had any problems, but I don't recommend to do this.

I've built an adapter from 220 to 9V DC max 1A stabilized. My tester says It's 9V DC but the micro br doesn't turn on.

Anyone knows something about these adapters?

Pedro

What polarity are you using? Micro BR uses negative in the center and positive outside of the plug.

maxpayne86

;D

yeah It was the polarity

It works perfectly

with integrated 7808 and a common 12 V - 1A transformer you get the most

Pedro

Cool, I might just build one myself. Just need to get one 7808.

I have a Danelectro Zero Hum, that says it is 9.6V and 200mA on the label which is like the Boss PSA.  The only thing I do not know is if the Danelectro is a regulated power supply or not.  Does anyone know the facts on the Danelectro.

maxpayne86

Quote from: Renegade on March 15, 2008, 09:44:35 AMI have a Danelectro Zero Hum, that says it is 9.6V and 200mA

I think 9.6 DC is not the proper voltage for your micro br.

I use 9V DC and 1A max stabilized, because I use it with other pedals (boss).

Ask to your hardware-skilled friend to build you a stabilized power supply and you save 20$ and more.