traveller in time music by satchwood vox by oldrottenhead

Started by Oldrottenhead, May 07, 2009, 03:41:26 PM

Oldrottenhead

i would go back to the v1 tracks and pan tivi full left t2vi full right t3v1 partially left t4vi partially right and bounce to t1and 2 v3. then master t1v3 full left t2v3 full right and t3v2 and t4v2 experiment with what sounds best panning position. re mastering i would master flat with no mastering effects, cos i still have vocals to add so i would do that in final mix. hope that makes sense, also it may not be best advice, i would try experimenting before any bouncing.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

In my view the keyboards are fine, as are the rhythm guitars. I would try just getting the two lead guitars wide left and right (I would try L50 R50) as ORH's vocal will end up in the middle. So you will need to think about the bounced track. How did you do the bounce? Are both lead guitars on one bounced track (ie in mono) , or are all four guitars bounced to the two bounce tracks? What I would do is create a stereo bounce of the four guitars, so all the V1 tracks would be bounced to T1V2 and T2V2 at the same time. I'd try panning the rhythm guitars about L25 (T1V1) R35 (T2V1) and the lead guitars at L50 (T3V1) R50 (T4V1). bear in mind you can't adjust the individual volume after the bounce, so spend some time getting that how you like it.

This is worthy of some attention to the mix because it's a real killer and has massive potential.

Cheers,

Nigel

PS if you can make any sense of the gobbledegook ORH and I just posted, you'll see he is suggesting you have the rhythm guitars wide left and right with the lead guitars "inside" them in the mix, whereas I am suggesting it the other way round (ie lead guitars wide L&R, rhythm guitars inside them). ORH and I will sort it out like men with wet cabbages at dawn while I suggest you just try a number of variations and see what you like best! Main thing is create some width in the stereo image.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Satchwood

I think that makes sense, I'll give it a shot tonight after work and post again tomorrow morning.   Thanks again for the quick turn around...it's pretty cool collaborating with some great talent here!

PS  I bounced all 4 V1 tracks down to 2 stereo tracks on T12V2 and then added in the 2 keyboard tracks.  I'll play around with the two scenarios that you guys suggested.
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Geir

One extra suggestion: Try keeping the rhytm as dry as possible (no reverb) and not too much on the lead either but maybe some, 'cause with such a massive piece of music reverb tends to make the production muddy if exaggerated.

cheers

Geir
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Satchwood

Cool ideas and suggestions.  Thanks guys - I try the panning schemes and also reducing the reverb as well....makes sense.

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

launched

I'm speechless!! This turned out great - with the gits widened out and a mix designed for vocals this will be dynomiiite!!

You're becoming quite a presence here, satch!

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Greeny

GREAT work fellas... it's amazing how collaborating opens up so many new possibilities ... and time portals  :D

The music was great to start with, but orh has a knack of getting inside a song and knowing exactly what's required lyrically and vocally.

It's a winner all the way.

:)

SdC

recorder
Boss BR-600

Satchwood

ORH, I've posted a re-mixed version of Time Traveler set up for your vocals in collaboration!  Have fun - looking forward to the outcome!  Hopefully we'll be able to hear you better!

Oldrottenhead

just back from work so i'll be onto it in a moment. after ive killed the kids.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann