Broken DC Input Socket

Started by rmjcdude111, May 03, 2009, 03:35:42 PM

I bought my BR a few years ago (about 2) and haven't used it in a while, but I've recently formed a band an used it to records riffs / jams. After going through about 100 AA batteries in just a month, I remembered it had a DC input jack as a secondary power supply, but whenever I plug in a 9V DC wire (the same kind I used that worked when I first bought it), it wouldn't work. I went into the settings and made sure the setting was on, used a working wall socket, but to no avail. I'm not sure why it's doing this. It could be that that actual input location on the left side of the BR is broken and worn, but I don't know what it should look like either.

So, what I'm asking is this: Could somebody post a close-up picture of what the socket on the BR should look like, and if it is broken, where can I get it fixed?

Davo

I dont have a pic handy but its the same size as the type used with the standard boss pedals.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Geir

Tried to take a pic w/ my cellphone but quality's not good enough, but it's a pretty standard 9V connector that most guitar-gizmos use, Have you tested your adapter on any other gear lately? or measured the voltage?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Sprocket

I purchased mine second hand off Craigslist, the seller demo'd it for me, everything works great...til I go home and try and plug in my PSA 120 adapter...it never recognizes the DC adapter and the batteries slowly drained as I used the BR.

I called customer service, I told them the PSA didnt work and that I tried another Boss 9v 120 adapter...soon as I said that, the "tech guy" tells me I ruined it...I remind him that I tried the PSA first, but he could never seem to get passed that...and Im not convinced that this Boss adapter wouldnt work...he didnt seem very tech savvy and was totally convinced I blew it up with my second adapter...it was a rather aggravating conversation, as he seemed dead set on what his TSB informed him.

Im also not totally convinced its the actual socket itself...when plugged in it kinda wanders around a lil, I notice a couple of my Boss pedals do this too but they still work...so maybe not.

I sent mine in for service...anxiously awaiting return...probably 2 weeks or more...hopefully less.

OsCKilO

positive to center .........9v

Buy Boss to be safe......
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

My problem seems similar to Sprocket's.

My socket looks like it's worn / broken and whenever I put an adapter in it, it wiggles around a bit.

How much did your service cost?

Sprocket

Quote from: rmjcdude111 on May 14, 2009, 08:07:35 PMMy problem seems similar to Sprocket's.

My socket looks like it's worn / broken and whenever I put an adapter in it, it wiggles around a bit.

Call Roland's service department, send it in for service...when they tell you itll be $75 an hour, just agree and send it in...you wont be disappointed.

Quote from: Sprocket on May 20, 2009, 11:51:35 AM
Quote from: rmjcdude111 on May 14, 2009, 08:07:35 PMMy problem seems similar to Sprocket's.

Call Roland's service department, send it in for service...when they tell you itll be $75 an hour, just agree and send it in...you wont be disappointed.
How many hours would it take? If it's more than two, I'd be better off buying a new one.

Sprocket

I sent you a private message in response. ;)