The sun lights up your face - IanR original

Started by IanR, January 27, 2017, 06:03:23 PM

IanR

The sun lights up your face LANDR Medium
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi Folks,

I wrote the lyrics to this song in early December 2016, just after watching a Crowded House concert on the telly. I was always a big fan. Anyway, I had the lyrics but it took me ages to work out the music and try to arrange it. I'm not completely happy with the result but I'm over it now.

Anyway, I hope you like it.  I recorded it straight into Sonar using the BR800 as the audio interface. I have done that a lot lately.  

I'll give you a run down of the instruments/tracks:
Drums: EZ Drummer
Bass: Squier Jaguar - straight into BR800 with apprpopriate patch
Acoustic: Cole Clark "Fat Lady" recorded straight into BR800 AND through AT2020 condenser mic, then mixed together in BR800 and into Sonar
Electric Guitar: Gibson Les Paul Traditional - from real Vox AC30 through 3 mics - Shure SM57, Shure SM58 and Audio Technica AT2020, mixed in BR800 and into Sonar
Electric Guitar: Fender Stratocaster - same process as Les Paul
Piano: Sonar soft synth
Strings: Sonar soft synth
Hammond organ: Sonar soft synth
Melodica: real melodica recorded into SM57
Vocals: me into AT2020

I mixed the tracks in Sonar and mastered it using LANDR, just to give it some cohesion and polish.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

cuthbert

Excellent rock song, Ian. I liked it a lot - an anthemic, Celtic-sounding arrangement, to my ears, especially when that melodica kicks in.

Well done, sir.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Groundy

Really well done Ian,
quite a few tracks for mixing but you have done it no problem,

Take a Bow my friend.....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Redler

Top class job on each way, Ian! Enjoable listening!

Thanks for the info of recording! This encouraging me to make a recording on similar way (BR-80=>Audacity). Very warm sounding song! Well done!

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mach

Great recording and song Ian. Sonar is a great DAW and user friendly. Was it tough to get 3 mics positioned just right for the AC30? Your voice sounds good through that AT2020 and the fact that you have and played a real melodica is impressive. Nice Job!

Mach
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Johnny Robbo

Superb, mate. A really polished arrangement & your performances are absolutely top-notch.
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

kenny mac

I always liked this song and love crowded house.
I'm really thinking about crossings into the world of cakewalk,Sonor,or similar.
I was thinking about a stand alone recorder again but the quality you guys have came up with lately on this site is swaying me.
Well done on a fine performance.

IanR

Quote from: kenny mac on January 28, 2017, 01:50:57 PMI always liked this song and love crowded house.

Thanks Kenny but I assume that you are talking about my Crowed House influence, 'cause I'm claiming this as an original  :D

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

stoman

I assume it would have sounded even better without LANDR (it always does), but you did a very nice job. You have quite a characteristic voice too.

IanR

Quote from: stoman on January 29, 2017, 01:02:57 AMI assume it would have sounded even better without LANDR (it always does), but you did a very nice job. You have quite a characteristic voice too.

Hmmmm, not a LANDR fan? To my ears, it adds little polish to the mix. What is your experience?

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One