Look Out the Window

Started by Mike Huntingford, October 21, 2016, 01:25:06 PM

Mike Huntingford

Look Out the Window (small file)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Picked up a new keyboard (KORG) to add to my studio collection.  First composition just hours after unpacking the box.

Hope you enjoy,

here's where to find a higher fidelity version:

https://www.reverbnation.com/mikehuntingford/song/26859040-look-out-the-window

Mike
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper

leighelse

Mike, you're a craftsman! This track is so smooth, and those instrument timbres are so yummy.

So what model Korg is this one? And where are you sourcing your instrument samples? I assume they're samples.

Currently I have a Casio PX-300 keyboard, and no outboard sound modules. The weighted keyboard on the Casio is adequate for piano etc, although I need to augment it with a controller that has a pitch wheel etc. I've also been looking longingly at the Roland Integra 7 to add some depth and variety to the available sounds. Perhaps there's something better (and hopefully cheaper) - what would you recommend?

In the meantime I can listen with envy to the beautiful tracks you're creating. This is a joy to listen to.
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Mike Huntingford

Quote from: leighelse on October 21, 2016, 03:02:44 PMMike, you're a craftsman! This track is so smooth, and those instrument timbres are so yummy.

So what model Korg is this one? And where are you sourcing your instrument samples? I assume they're samples.

Currently I have a Casio PX-300 keyboard, and no outboard sound modules. The weighted keyboard on the Casio is adequate for piano etc, although I need to augment it with a controller that has a pitch wheel etc. I've also been looking longingly at the Roland Integra 7 to add some depth and variety to the available sounds. Perhaps there's something better (and hopefully cheaper) - what would you recommend?

In the meantime I can listen with envy to the beautiful tracks you're creating. This is a joy to listen to.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words.  This is mostly performed on a KORG PA900.  Additional soloing instruments are from Yamaha keyboards (e.g., flute, acoustic piano, acoustic guitar), all other voices are from the PA900.  The drum kits sound so good on the board.

No patching to VSTs, this is all audio played on these keyboards directly into SONAR Platinum 64-bit DAW as multi-tracked recording.

I am not familiar with the Casio PX-300.  I too was looking at the Integra 7 as a terrific studio source of almost unlimited voices.  If you're wanting to have voices that are near real - Yamaha's have best, IMHO, flutes, saxes, acoustic guitars, and acoustic pianos.  I think Roland has terrific strings, basses, and drums kits (not over sampled) or compressed.  I think the KORG has phat sounds period!  I also own a KORG M3 module - it is BIG SOUNDING!  The PA900 does not disappoint either - big sounds - rich in detail - drums and percussion (as you can hear) are amazing - acoustic piano's not to my liking though.

I looked into using VSTs but, I would probably buy a separate computer just to run Quantum Leaps EASTWEST VSTs as audio into my DAW on the other computer - treating the EASTWEST just like another keyboard - so to speak!  You now can get the complete EASTWEST packages via cloud (thousands of the most top quality sounds) by monthly subscription - stop at any time and any songs produced with the VSTs remain yours.

Thanks again for listening.  If you want to see my setup here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=207228559698778&set=pcb.207228886365412&type=3&theater

Mike
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper

launched

The flute sounds incredibly real, very cool track!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Groundy

Beautiful sound Mike, I always enjoy your music......Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Redler

I'm having my morning coffee and this is perfect music right now!

Very laid back and dreamy feel on your song! Enjoyable listening again!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

cool track, which korg did you buy? go on give us a link, to drool over, sounds a fab purchase.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Mike Huntingford

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on October 22, 2016, 03:37:56 PMcool track, which korg did you buy? go on give us a link, to drool over, sounds a fab purchase.

It's a KORG PA900.

Loving it... still getting used to it. See it in my studio (pic attached)

Mike

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/pa900/

Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper

64Guitars

Cool studio, Mike.  What's the beige box on the left above the Yamaha?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

thetworegs

What a great track to wake up too ... smooth as butter .. love it  ;D

If Life is a dream then use your imagination