Trimming the length of a song

Started by tom r, April 27, 2009, 03:15:52 PM

tom r

Hi i erased a few unwanted sounds from the beginning of a track but now the song is complete i have three seconds silence before it starts. Is it possible to trim the beginning of the song?
Thanks

Tom
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

Satchwood

One method is to import your mp3 into Audacity (free software) and then trim the tune (by selecting what you want to keep) and then export an mp3 back out.  I haven't figured out a way to do this all within the MBR.
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Ted

I don't think there is a way to do this within the MBR.

A couple of weeks ago, I put up a tutorial on Trimming and Fading with LP Ripper (instead of Audacity, etc.)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

jkevinwolfe

I believe that you can move each track to the head. But this seems like a real pain. After exporting the master you could edit the WAV or MP3.

64Guitars

It's actually quite easy to trim the beginning of a song using only the Micro BR. See "Moving data (Track Move)" on page 55/56 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition.

Just specify the pair of v-tracks you used for your final mix or master as the source and destination track pair. For example, if you bounced or mastered your tracks to Tr1v8 and Tr2v8, then set the Move Track source to Tr12v8 (a stereo pair) and set the destination to the same. Then set the Start, End, and To accordingly. For example, if you have 3 seconds of silence you want to remove and your song ends at 3:54, then use these settings for the Track Move parameters:

Source and destination = TR12-V8 -> TR12-V8

Start = 00:00:03-00.0
  End = 00:03:54-00.0
   To = 00:00:00-00.0

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 27, 2009, 08:39:21 PMJust specify the pair of v-tracks you used for your final mix or master as the source and destination track pair. For example, if you bounced or mastered your tracks to Tr1v8 and Tr2v8, then set the Move Track source to Tr12v8 (a stereo pair) and set the destination to the same. Then set the Start, End, and To accordingly.

I'm missing something.  After you've mastered to a pair of v-tracks, you then export to a WAV or MP3 file.  When you move the data in those tracks, your WAV or MP3 doesn't change. (Does it?)  Wouldn't you have to re-master and re-export, but using only those v-tracks?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

hewhoiscalledj

I think 64 meant that you trim or move the track 3sec ahead BEFORE actually mastering (still in standard recording mode) Once you've fixed or trimmed the song, then you master to wave or mp3. If it's already been mastered, you would have to use something like Audacity or Garageband or whatever for further editing...

Unless the BR can edit wave files? Havent tried but now I'm wondering...

Satchwood

64Guitars you are a flippin expert! 

Now if only I can figure out how to do fade in and fade out using the MBR, then I'd probably never have to use Audacity for song samples...

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

jkevinwolfe

Sure, you can fade in and out.

• Bounce all your tracks to a stereo mix.
  • Still in Bounce mode, press the Track 1 button and cursor left until the track volume is showing and the cursor is below one of the two stereo tracks you've bounce to.
  • Bounce these two track again to two other tracks with the volume set to zero.
  • After the song starts press the + button to fade in.
  • Towards the end of the song, press - to start fading out.

Kevin

Satchwood

Cool, thanks Kevin!  I'll try that out...