New Guitar Day - Yamaha Revstar RS502 (with vid)

Started by AndyR, August 04, 2016, 01:13:38 PM

Lovely sounding guitar, must admit i'd not seen one before and it really looks the business as well as sounding good. Is the neck more Gibson or Fender? Having smallish fingers the Fender profile suits me but I suppose its what you get used to. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it and I shall enjoy listening.    Regards Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

AndyR

The neck is quite interesting - it's neither one nor the other, but it is very comfy.

I'm used to playing a Gibson SG 61 Reissue a lot recently - this has a wide but shallow (thin) neck. And a Les Paul Traditional which has a nice thick but rounded neck. Before the 61 SG, I was very much into heavy necks - one of the reasons I wanted the 61 SG was to try this skinny Gibson neck. Took me a bit of getting used to, and now I love both.

At first, the neck on this Revstar feels like a cross between the two - it felt immediately familiar. And it has the additional bonus of the frets installed over the binding (unlike the LP and SG!)

And then I noticed that the string spacing at the nut is a fair bit narrower than the Gibsons. I only had one strat nearby, and didn't compare too closely last night, but I think the string-spacing is more like one of my Roadworn Strats.

Over all, I think it sits in the middle.

One thing (and this will be connected to the neck) - acoustically, the guitar is EXTREMELY resonant, zingy, and LOUD. It's right up there with my Baja Teles, both of them. And I'm expecting it to get more so when I stick 11s on and raise the action.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Blooby

I think the guitar you got has more character than the black (which I checked out). A heck of a score.

My latest issue is one of space. I literally have no space for the new guitar in the studio. I've been looking over my guitars, trying to decide which one could go. I have decided I'm an expert at rationalizing their collective existence, though.

Blooby

ODH

Quote from: Blooby on August 05, 2016, 05:14:57 AMI have decided I'm an expert at rationalizing their collective existence, though.

Very well put.

My collection of guitars is small (one telecaster, one acoustic and one bass).  Whenever I bring up the subject of getting a new one, Mrs odh plays the "so which one are you going to get rid of, then?" gambit.  Bless her.  Game set and match.  I do yearn for an SG or something with humbuckers, though, or like Andy's Yamaha.  (And it would probably be the bass to go)

In the mean time I can get second-hand GAS abatement in threads like this.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

AndyR

Yep, "more character". The black 60s just didn't have enough character in my mind for £650 - it DOES for £499, mind :D

This one though, weighs in with plenty MOJO (and costs well over twice as much):

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

AndyR

Yeah, and it's space is the problem for me now. Luckily Mrs R doesn't weigh in with the "which one are you selling then?" because she already knows I'm struggling with the space thing too...

I don't know about "collective existence" for me, but I can definitely look at each guitar with a "hey you're a good mate, I don't want to part with you". ;D ;D ;D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Blooby

I just got through watching the new That Pedal Show, and the Kingsley Harlot has me in GAS fever. Not a cheap pedal, but the sound is breathtaking.

I think I'm going back to bed.

As for the collective existence thing, how could I take one away from all of his/her friends?

Blooby

64Guitars

Quote from: ODH on August 05, 2016, 05:37:06 AMMy collection of guitars is small (one telecaster, one acoustic and one bass).  Whenever I bring up the subject of getting a new one, Mrs odh plays the "so which one are you going to get rid of, then?" gambit.  Bless her.  Game set and match.

Mrs. ODH: "I saw the loveliest pair of shoes at Friars Walk today. I'm going back to buy them tomorrow."

Mr. ODH:  "So which ones are you going to get rid of then?"

Somehow, I don't see that ending well for you.  ;D

:D   :D   :D

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

bruno

Quote from: ODH on August 05, 2016, 05:37:06 AMWhenever I bring up the subject of getting a new one, Mrs odh plays the "so which one are you going to get rid of, then?" gambit.  
Ah - then the answer is, if I can only have one, then it has to be the eye watering super expensive one. The one that counts!!! The compromise is, of course, keeping the exising set, supplimented with the much, much cheaper one, well that's just taking one for the team ....... just sayin'.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And of course, that is exactly (and I mean, exactly), why 7 string guitars were invented. Why do you want another guitar. Er - 7 strings ????? Ah - okay then .....

I'm still rubbing my head in sympathy to 64's frying pan - ouch that hurts

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

bruno

Quote from: Blooby on August 05, 2016, 05:14:57 AMMy latest issue is one of space. I literally have no space for the new guitar in the studio. I've been looking over my guitars, trying to decide which one could go. I have decided I'm an expert at rationalizing their collective existence, though.
I feel your pain brother - floor racks are great!

I've strangely got the cash set aside for the right one(s) - ready to pounce like a panther, however am very uninspired st the moment. I'm sure that will pass ....

recorder
Boss BR-1600