Imported sound effects.

Started by Jim2711, April 26, 2009, 02:43:31 AM

Jim2711

I have been listening to some of the work that members have posted, very impressive. I noticed that some people have used inported sound effects, like as a intro to a song, How is it done? And does it use up one of the 4 tracks?  Jim2711.... ???

jkevinwolfe

You can import WAV and MP3 files. Page 113 of the manual gives details on the bitrates and an sampling rates that work. They will occupy a track if mono and two tracks if stereo.

To import:
• Plug the Micro into your PC and drag the track to the micro drive
• Press the Utility button
• Press TRK
• Press Cursor Right >
• Press IMP
• Choose the file
• NEXT
• Choose the track to import to
• Choose Time or Measure where you want the track to start
• EXE
• YES

Jim2711

Thanks for that mate, sounds pretty straight forward. Just one further question, you mention plugging the micro into a PC, I assume you mean via USB. I have noticed that the micro has a USB port, but I purchased my MBR secondhand from ebay and did not receive any cables with it. Bummer!  I will try and source a cable from a music shop, but if I cant, can I put the SD card in the PC transfer the said file, then put it back in the micro and follow your instructions?  Cheers Jim2711....

Tony

Quote from: Jim2711 on April 26, 2009, 09:26:43 PMThanks for that mate, sounds pretty straight forward. Just one further question, you mention plugging the micro into a PC, I assume you mean via USB. I have noticed that the micro has a USB port, but I purchased my MBR secondhand from ebay and did not receive any cables with it. Bummer!  I will try and source a cable from a music shop, but if I cant, can I put the SD card in the PC transfer the said file, then put it back in the micro and follow your instructions?  Cheers Jim2711....
The Micro Br doesn't come with a usb cable anyway so you haven't missed out on anything.  You don't need a music shop.  Try an electrical/computer/audio store and look for a usb-usb (mini B) connector.  The standard usb goes into the computer and the mini B goes into the Micro BR.  It should only cost a few dollars/pounds/whatever depending on which country you are in.

Remember, the usb cable only allows you to drag and drop files.  The MBR is a midi free zone.

Jim2711

And once again, Thanks Tony..... I will get myself to the local PC shop tomorrow. I must say this forum is proving to be very helpfull....Jim2711... :)

Ferryman_1957

Hi Jim,

Here's what I did for one of my tracks, Cassilda's Song. This has a lot of sound effects (probably around 20) which are mixed into a "soundscape" that runs through the whole track. I had a simple, basic structure of the song together (just drums with bass and one guitar) and I actually played the sound effects live from the site I was using (freesound.org) and recorded them while the backing track was playing. So I linked the headphone output of the PC to the line in of the MBR and just played the sound effects I wanted at different points in the track. This allowed me some fade in/fade out as I was recording, because many of the sound effects were too long. I would record sound effects on different tracks (most are in stereo) and then mix them together and bounce them down until I had a stereo "soundscape" that lasted for the whole track. I also played multiple sound effects at the same time - on freesound, there is a play button for each effect and you can have multiple going at once. So, for example, I might set a long sound effect going (like the rain noise) and then interject some screams or moans by clicking on these at the appropriate time. I was almost "playing" the sound effects like an instrument.

This saves downloading loads of mp3s and importing them. It's also real easy if you just want to add one or two sound effects.

Remember, you don't have four tracks, you have 32 (and that's before you start backing up to a PC, I have used over 40 tracks in some of my stuff). You just have to do some "bouncing" to keep reducing the number of virtual tracks you have used up. If you're not sure what that is, read some of the excellent tutorials on here.

Cheers,

Nigel

Jim2711

Excellent, many thanks Nigel, I cant believe how helpfull people are at this forum. I havnt looked at bouncing as yet, I will look into the tutorials you suggested. Hopefully it will be as simple as creating drum arrangements turned out to be - I cant believe how put off I was by drum arrangements, walk in the park now. I'm still a little unsure of 32 virtual tracks thingy as well. With time I'm sure I'll get there....

Many thanks again....Jim2711.... ;D

Greeny

I've imported mp3 sound effects into the BR before, but have since found it easier to add sounds in Audacity (a free music software program...). It's easy to do on the BR if the sound effect is right at the start of a song, but more complex (for me at least) to synch it to exactly where I want it later within a track. Either way, it's a good thing to do.

It does take up a track, or part of one. I tend to put the effect on track 3 so that I can add vocals after it, to save having to bounce to another track.

Here's a great site to get you started with a whole library of free sounds...

http://www.freesound.org/index.php

Jim2711

Cheers Greeny, I will check out that site...... ;D  Jim2711