'20 Years Ago" a Hook original

Started by Hook, July 14, 2016, 08:40:16 AM

Hook

20 Years Ago
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I did a tune a long while ago that took a 3 chord progression, in groupings of 3, and used the lyrics, grouped in 4 to make the progression seem like it was changing. Didn't work as well with this one but I still dig it. I recorded the uke/vocal part the other day in the car & produced it on the plane yesterday with my ipad.
1 uke/vocal (stereo)
1 grand piano (GB-stereo)
1 Flute (TJ-mono)
1 TC Performer App (stereo)
20 Years Ago
written & performed by Hook
I lived in the woods
for 6 months of my life
about 20 years ago

I walked every day
over mountains through pain
 Sun wind rain and snow

I thought all I could think
had very little to drink
and cleared myself of the toxins
That haunted me

I was sure of who I was
& proud of what I'd done
I wonder where that guy is now

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Kenneth

I actually got a Zep quiet song vibe from this with the reflective lyrics and laid back style. The expressive vocals were part of that. Tis true!
Cool, Hook!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Redler

Laid back and trippy! A bit experimental on some spots! Very nice job!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

ODH

There's a lot going on in that head of yours.  And it seems to have a ready outlet into these pieces of contemplation / poetry / muse that you seem to be able to come up with such ease.

Sometimes listening to your songs is like hitting the reset button; a moment of calm.  And so with this one.

Thanks dude.

:)
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Johnny Robbo

Yeah... I love this! Definitely hear the Zep vibe going on. Nice to get an insight into how you come up with the structural idea... works for me, mate!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

Hook

Thank you guys greatly for the very kind words (I know what a hypocrite for posting a thank you post but...).
Quote from: ODH on July 15, 2016, 04:16:47 AMThere's a lot going on in that head of yours.  And it seems to have a ready outlet into these pieces of contemplation / poetry / muse that you seem to be able to come up with such ease.

Sometimes listening to your songs is like hitting the reset button; a moment of calm.  And so with this one.

Thanks dude.

:)
Thank you Nick, that really makes makes my day!
Rock on my friends!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

kenny mac

I started playing this and the went into the kitchen with my iPad.
I put it on the window sill and began making my rolls,the tune floated out into my garden as I sat outside and chilled.
Taking people to a place is a job well done,this song was pretty hypnotic in its structure.
I don't know if it was the narrative lyric quality or the earthy feel about it but it was a cool relaxing moment.
Well done Hook,your the man.

Black Mary

Hi Hook,
Great lyrics.
The whole track has a brilliant throwback feel to the early 70's. I agree it has a classic Zep mood. Excellent stuff.
Cheers
BM
kingliggermusic

Blooby

This builds in a really organic way. Love the sprinkly synth dropped in. The played is messing with my head today, though. I dig the way you use Thumbjam.

Blooby

launched

Hey bud, drops in like Zep - But with the Hook flare! The pauses are wicked. Reminds me of the guy that lived in the woods undetected nearby for 20 years, nobody knowing lol! He eventually got caught though :)

Awesome!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover