New HTML5 MP3 players and Jukeboxes

Started by 64Guitars, July 04, 2016, 12:15:10 AM

Hook

And I see no playbbutton on jukeboxes.
It wouldn't play I Fenderbender postbeither. Dowloaded but would play.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on August 01, 2016, 04:28:37 PMAnd I see no playbbutton on jukeboxes.
When I created the new HTML5 jukeboxes, I decided to combine the previously separate Play and Pause buttons into a single button that toggles between Pause and Play. When the jukebox page is first loaded, the first song should automatically start playing. So the button is labelled Pause, since there's no need for a Play button if it's already playing. If you click the Pause button, the button label should then change to Play.

I'll probably make the same change to the individual song player, but haven't yet.

Quote from: Hook on August 01, 2016, 04:28:37 PMIt wouldn't play I Fenderbender postbeither. Dowloaded but would play.
The only explanation I can think of is that the filename of Fenderbender's song contains an ampersand ("ELANI T&A.MP3") which can have a special meaning in HTML and some operating systems. Perhaps that's confusing your Android web browser. Can you play it in the individual song player in the song post?

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=25532.0

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 31, 2016, 11:10:30 PMProgress report on the Flash player

Most features of the Flash player now work except the following:
  • Clicking in the progress bar to change the current position is not yet implemented, although the "<" and ">" buttons do work, so you can skip back and forth 10 seconds per click.
  • Repeat button is not working.
  • Pausing the song, then clicking the Play button causes the song to restart from the beginning instead of resuming from the position where the pause button was clicked.

Just the Repeat button to work on now. Everything else should be working.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

As always, thanks so much for your efforts, 64. It is not lost on us.

Bruce

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

I have lost count of the beers I owe him. Cheers big ears.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

Listening on my iPad (latest song juke) in Firefox,all songs cut off midway & next song never starts.
Not criticizing just FYI, you know that I known just how much you rock sir!
Will try other browsers, must get something accomplished now...

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Geir

Quote from: Hook on August 03, 2016, 03:58:07 AMListening on my iPad (latest song juke) in Firefox,all songs cut off midway & next song never starts.
Same experience. I think it is the same experience we've had on iOS devices for a looooooong time now. Unless Apple changes something, I think we'll have to live with it. :(
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

The problem isn't just with iOS devices. I think it's any WebKit-based browser which, unfortunately, is most of them except Firefox (though Firefox for iOS is based on WebKit).

In Midori 0.5.11 (a WebKit browser for Linux), I have the same problem with the current Latest Songs jukebox. But I'm pretty confident that the jukebox code is not causing the problem. To prove it, I made the following test page which is much simpler than the jukebox but plays the same four songs using very basic HTML5 code:

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/h5audio-test.html

In Midori, the songs on that test page stop prematurely, just as they do in the Latest Songs jukebox. So the jukebox code can't be the cause.

Here's the test page code for anyone who's interested. You can see that it's very simple, so there's not much chance of a coding error, unlike the jukebox code which is very complex and therefore has a greater chance of bugs.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
   <title>HTML5 Audio Test Page</title>

<style>
      body { text-align: center; background-color: #666666; color: #ffffff; }
      h1 { font-size: 20pt; margin-bottom: 10px;}
      h2 { font-size: 17pt; margin-bottom: 60px;}
      h3 { font-size: 12pt; margin-top: 40px; font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;}
   </style>
</head>

<body>

<h1>HTML5 Audio Test Page</h1>
   <h2>Files hosted at Songcrafters.org</h2>

<h3>"You've Got a Friend" by heg577</h3>
   <audio controls>
      <source src="https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25538.0;id=185545" type="audio/mpeg">
   </audio>

<h3>"The Coming Punch" by Hook</h3>
   <audio controls>
      <source src="https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25536.0;id=185544" type="audio/mpeg">
   </audio>

<h3>"I Didn't Mean It" by Willie</h3>
   <audio controls>
      <source src="https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25534.0;id=185542" type="audio/mpeg">
   </audio>

<h3>"Elani" by Groundy and fenderbender</h3>
   <audio controls>
      <source src="https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25532.0;id=185540" type="audio/mpeg">
   </audio>

</body>

</html>

I don't think the Songcrafters server is the cause of the problem but it might be a contributing factor. To test this, I uploaded the four songs to weebly.com, then made a copy of the test page and changed all the links to the files on weebly.

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/h5audio-test-weebly.html

In Midori, it seems to play more reliably than the files hosted on Songcrafters. However, it does still stop in the middle of the song some of the time. I suspect that the difference in reliability between the files hosted on Songcrafters versus the same files hosted on Weebly is down to the speed of the server. Songcrafters is on a shared server and it can be quite slow sometimes. I don't think it's unacceptably slow, but it might be slow enough to make this WebKit problem occur more frequently.

The funny thing is that the problem doesn't exist at all in Firefox (except the iOS version based on WebKit). All four songs in the Latest Songs jukebox and in the test page play all the way through every time. In fact, I don't think I've seen any songs stop prematurely in Firefox. I've only seen it happen in the WebKit-based browsers.

I'd recommend that everyone who uses a WebKit-based browser should keep it up to date as I've noticed that my Epiphany browser, which is also based on WebKit, works more reliably than the Midori browser (though not perfectly). I checked the WebKit versions in each and found that the version in Epiphany is more recent than the version in Midori. So you may find that updating your browser (which updates the WebKit version it's based on) will help. You should also keep your OS up to date; especially iOS since WebKit is built into it. When you update iOS, you're updating WebKit too, so you may find that your WebKit-based browser works better after updating the OS.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry