Back To The Future (recorded on cassette tape 4 track!)

Started by bruno, May 08, 2016, 10:14:50 AM

bruno

Track 136 - Back to the future
Time:
0:00
Volume:
OldSchoolStudio (banner image missing)

Well here goes nothin'
This won't qualify for the fest, as I used the Kemper on it. In my defence the Kemper replicates the sound of a miked up amp, exactly, to the point where they sound the same A/B'd - so it would sound like this is I'd miked up the amp.  Wanted to see how it would sound. Finally got a new Chrome cassette tape from Amazon, and plugged in to see how it would sound. New cassette seemed to solve most of the wow and flutter. Frustrating from crackly pots, dodgy switches. Rewinding the tape, blimey that is painful. It has to be said, the digital age is a huge improvement! Recorded the drum loop and guitar from the BR into track 1, lead into track 2 and bass into track 3. Mixed on the porta-studio (and the panning in real time), back into the BR to get it back into the digital domain. Generally a pain-in-the arse!

Track is a play-the-first-thing-in-your-head along with the drum machine, so a throw away little number, but interesting to see how it would sound :-)

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

thetworegs

Nobody would have known if hadn't said ... A good recording not a stretch tape in earshot !

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

ODH

Quote from: bruno on May 08, 2016, 10:14:50 AMwow and flutter. Frustrating from crackly pots, dodgy switches. Rewinding the tape, blimey that is painful. It has to be said, the digital age is a huge improvement!

Amen to that! I was wincing in sympathy with what you said, it describes the flavour of much of the 90's for me.

Nice piece, great playing as usual.

:)
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

SE

To start great playing loved the rhythm and lead and done on a 4 track tape respect!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Hook

Man you got a good sound out of that fossil. I can't believe you went to all that trouble and still used the Kemper...you rebel. Fight the power!
Rock on!.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Redler

Cool playing and your guitar has really good vintage tone! Nice job!!

I own Fostex X-15, but it needs power supply or huge amount of batteries...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Groundy

Brilliant, Especially with Cans......
Some excellent guitar work..
Well done Bruno.
Love it..........
Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Blooby

So to do the stereo effect, were you actively moving the pan control during a bounce?

Great playing.

Blooby

cuthbert

Yep, totally digging that panning and the fine musicianship - it shines, regardless of the recording format.

Nice one, bruno!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

bruno

Thanks all for the comments - I was just screwing around with the technolgy (I can't help myself). I inherited the player from my brother a few years ago, who only used it as a mixer anyway, as he went completely into the digital domain. I originally was going to have a play but never really got on with it, and ended up buying the BR1600 as a result. The thing has been gathering dust ever since. Needed to work out how it worked, hence this track.

Quote from: Blooby on May 09, 2016, 04:22:42 PMSo to do the stereo effect, were you actively moving the pan control during a bounce?
Blooby - yip exactly that, adjusting the controls in real time when capturing the audio out to get the tape into the digital domain. In effect changing the mix in real time - very old school :-) Needs must and all that.

One thing it does - which is cool - is that you can change the speed of the tape in real time - I may well try that in any future recording. I didn't find a way of doing that in the digital domain when recording War Pigs :-) May well have a play with that :-)

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600