Main Menu

It's Impossible

Started by heg577, April 09, 2016, 01:15:16 PM

SE

Just, wow that's just a superb rendition, big respect, loved it!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

chapperz66

Oh my word - this is just beautiful.  You have a fine, expressive voice and the piano playing is sublime.  I'm guessing that this is a real piano, right? 

I would love to know how you recorded this. Mics etc.  I'm always interested.

This is one of my mum's favourite songs so I will definately play her your version.  I know she will love it.

Awesome.

Paul

heg577

Quote from: chapperz66 on April 18, 2016, 02:36:50 AMOh my word - this is just beautiful.  You have a fine, expressive voice and the piano playing is sublime.  I'm guessing that this is a real piano, right? 

I would love to know how you recorded this. Mics etc.  I'm always interested.

This is one of my mum's favourite songs so I will definately play her your version.  I know she will love it.

Awesome.

Paul

Thank you, Paul and everyone else who has kindly commented on this song.
I have been considering writing an analysis/explanation of how this track was put together, I just wasn't really sure if it would be of interest to anyone. But since Paul's comments and question I have decided to do so..

This is not a real piano, Paul, it is an "M-Audio Keystation 88" - it is somewhat difficult to play in that it has only half-weighted keys and no sustain pedal, but I have developed a way to play it to get the best out of it.
The sample, in garage band, is named as a "Live Classical Piano" and I add a little extra reverb to it.
The chords were found on the internet and I made a few minor alterations to the extensions that I think suit the feel of the song better.
The chords under the vocal in the first verse were played in a very simple way in order to leave room to build tension and feeling as the song progressed.
The second verse includes a track with "Tremelo Whirly" low in the mix to add a little colour and warmth.
The solo part was recorded seperately - I wanted to avoid playing the melody, here, in order that I could come back to the melody in the third verse; the piano chords are played with a little more attack.
I added "Hollywood Strings" to the third verse in order to create a more dramatic dynamic before the song reaches its final few gentle bars and conclusion.
The vocal was recorded on my "sE2000" in one take, apart from the very last "impossible", which was added as an afterthought.

Everything was recorded/played and mixed in "Garageband" on my old Apple Mac, which has a rather noisy fan that one can hear when the volume is turned up - because I forgot to pull the battery out before recording the vocal, one can also hear the clock ticking on the wall.. ::)

And finally, Paul, I would be delighted to learn what your Mum has to say about it..
Thanks again.

There is a beautiful symphony playing within us all..

64Guitars

Quote from: heg577 on April 18, 2016, 07:59:51 AMI have been considering writing an analysis/explanation of how this track was put together, I just wasn't really sure if it would be of interest to anyone.

I'm always interested in hearing how a recording was made. And I think most other members are too. It's a key part of what Songcrafters is about. Reading about how a recording was made is often educational and inspiring. And it gives us a better understanding of what we're listening to, making it easier to comment.

When people post a song and say nothing about it, I don't know what I'm listening to. For all I know, they could be singing over a backing track they downloaded from the web. So, please EVERYONE, always tell us as much as you can about your song when you post it. Tell us which parts you played, what instruments you used, what recorder and/or DAW, effects, apps, mastering tools or services (LANDR, for example), and anything else you can think of. As musicians, we're very interested in the process of creating music, not just the end result.

Your piano playing is astounding on this recording, as is your vocal. And the overall production quality is excellent. Well done!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Hook

This is absolutely marvelous, what a voice you have. I love your arrangement I love the gentleness of it it's Splendid brother.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

fenderbender

Blxxxdy great version heg.
Classy vocals and great piano work.

Brilliant. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tommy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

chapperz66

Quote from: heg577 on April 18, 2016, 07:59:51 AM
Quote from: chapperz66 on April 18, 2016, 02:36:50 AMOh my word - this is just beautiful.  You have a fine, expressive voice and the piano playing is sublime. 

Awesome.

Paul

And finally, Paul, I would be delighted to learn what your Mum has to say about it..
Thanks again.

I played your version to her yesterday and, as expected, she loved it!

Paul

heg577

Quote from: chapperz66 on April 25, 2016, 02:32:29 AM
Quote from: heg577 on April 18, 2016, 07:59:51 AM
Quote from: chapperz66 on April 18, 2016, 02:36:50 AMOh my word - this is just beautiful.  You have a fine, expressive voice and the piano playing is sublime. 

Awesome.

Paul

Thanks again.

I played your version to her yesterday and, as expected, she loved it!

Paul

Thank you, Paul - I am delighted to hear that your mother enjoyed this version of a song she loves..
There is a beautiful symphony playing within us all..

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Johnny Robbo

Forgot how good this version is. Back for another go!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk