"Out Of Here" a Hook original

Started by Hook, January 31, 2016, 05:30:45 AM

Hook

Out Of Here
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Wrote & recorded this last Tuesday evening in the car during a rainstorm. A few days later I did the thumbjam cello & flute at the park while my kids played. I would imagine some will find the flute a bit distracting, I might have gotten a bit carried away. Mixed it yesterday morning, all done on the BR80.
1 uke/cocal (stereo)
1 cello (TJ)
1 flute
Out Of Here
written & performed by Hook
The darkness hangs above the street lights
and absorbs all the anger
The future that once was dissolves
And all we've had is in danger

Time is but a cloth
Intricately sheer
Moments strung together
With paper wax and fear
If we can make a spark
We might light our way out of here

Rain appears from nowhere near
And hits hard upon the glass
Sounds echo off the droplets
As they break away and escape

Silence disappears
into this vastly empty space
and meaning fades away quicker still

In space it seems futile
why would we crave space
when the emptiness between us is what kills

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Oldrottenhead

beautiful lyrics a phrasing. very kurt wagner like. i would drop the flute tho i think it is unnecessary. fabulous song.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

I wrote up some long winded post about how the lyrics really did it for me..........you should have seen it.......I tried to match the sheer power of your lyrics with my epicene post.......it was visceral, intelligent, haunting, beautiful, full of light and dark, etc.........just as is your lyrics........I went on of for some hundreds of words, trying to get to the meaty marrow, the connective tissue that binds these lyrics to the universal haunted feeling......that feeling when you are just waking up....the dream is still lingering in the imagination......and you get that rush of feeling, exhilaration mixed with dread, the waking world is upon us again and we must go face the trials of the thing awaiting us........go on......pretend we are normal members of society for another day........all the while inwardly screaming against the dying darkness and emerging light........the dream fades and all we have is this moment, sitting on the edge of the bed, tired but alive for one more day................that was the kind of thing I wrote about, but much more meaningful, deeper connections, taut wordplay, efervesant ideas............but alas, my computer froze up and it was lost.........just like that dream is now lost...........................................and all i have left now is the wonderful song and my deep appreciation for having the chance to hear it today.

As for the flute, I am torn, I like the solo for sure, when there is vocals it seems a bit much, like it is competing with the cello for dominance and distracts from the vocals.  All in all a great song Hook.....I love the lyrics.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Farrell Jackson

This is a great song and lyric Hook! I could picture you in the car recording this as the rain came down. Since you mentioned the flute, I think it works well in between your vocal but not during. It seems to fight for space with your vocal melody. The cello sounds excellent. You are the master of the car studio!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Redler

Enjoyable ballad! Very beautiful composition and vocal melodies! TJ cello/flute puts this to another level! I love this!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Groundy

Beautiful Hook, just beautiful,
One of your best, imo.
Such a well written and performed Ballad.

A Big Thumbs up for this......

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Johnny Robbo

Wonderful! Personally I love the flute :)

A beautiful song & you sing it with such conviction. Bravo!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

chapperz66

Beautiful song - and I love the real rain sounds at the end.  Very atmospheric.  I love flute and I certainly wouldn't drop it, but perhaps make it a bit more of an occaisional embelishment?

Either way - a fine song.

Paul

bruno

Whoh brother - this is awesome. Loved this track, great, great lyrics. And I liked the flute - very cool track.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

leighelse

... in the car.

Lovely feel. Supple vocal. Tender cello. Not sure about the flute during the vocal: perhaps push it right back in the mix while you're singing?

Very nice Mr Hook. You must have a large car. If not, you deserve one.
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.