Act your age - IanR original

Started by IanR, January 22, 2016, 03:29:04 AM

IanR

Act your age
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi folks,

I've been working on this song for a few weeks. I read Elvis Costello's autobiography (Christmas present) and I was inspired to write him a song. I do a bad Elvis impersonation so you will have to use your imagination.  

Its like a lot of Elvis songs and not about anything in particular - just some word play.  I have the lyrics written out somewhere and I'll put them up here when I find them.

Its a bit of a WALL OF SOUND and I'm not entirely happy with the mix or my vocals but I'm so sick of it that I'm putting it to bed by posting it here.

Of note is that some of the trumpet sounds are real trumpet played by my 15 year old daughter. She got a bit bored before I could get her to play all the horns so there are some fake horns as well.

I hope you like it.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

chapperz66

The mix works well as far as I'm concerned.  Great song and real trumpet - could it be a songcrafters first?  Brilliant.  Congrats to your daughter for her contributions.  My first instrument was trumpet and my poor parents were secretly quite relieved when I moved more to electric guitar and away from the brass.  In theory at least it is possible to turn down the volume on an amp, but brass is difficult to play quietly.  My dad used to get me to practice with the bell in a cupboard with a pillow in it (bell-end...come on chaps, we are better than that!). 

Great song Ian.

Paul

Hook

Nice job with this tune, very Costello(ee). I want to read that book but I might have forgotten how to read. Love the arrangement and lyrics are top shelf!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Excellent song! The trumpet and supporting horns are cool. You have captured Elvis' vibe here real well. I think the mix works fine. Nice one!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

fenderbender

From the drums intro -I mknew this was going to be good-
you got a great sound here Ian-
great recording and mix--

Love the trumpet =congrats to your daughter

regards

Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Groundy

Love this from the start Ian,
Great beat and the vox is spot on...
And your Daughter plays a mean Trumpet..
Well done to you both...
Class... ;).

Alex...

There is a joke somewhere in here about blowing your own Trumpet.. :D

%)! %)! %)!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Redler

Nice song, Ian! Well written and performed!

Melodic and tasty stuff here! The trumpet riff is very catchy!

Fine job by both of you! I like this a lot!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Nice one Ian, loved the song and the trumpet is a great addition.  More please.    Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Mike_S

Great stuff Ian, that's a very strong song i think. That's a very full sound, I tihnk it all comes together well and i am also glad with the mix you didn't over think it as it works well everything just hanging together like that. Good work... oh fine trumpet playing too!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand