Clanging Chimes of Doom

Started by ODH, December 23, 2015, 08:38:47 AM

ODH

Chimes of Doom
Time:
0:00
Volume:
YuleFest (banner image missing)

"And the only bells that ring are the clanging chimes of doom".  So said the line in the Band Aid song Do They Know It's Christmas.

Forgive me if I went too far.

Clanging Chimes of Doom
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

thetworegs

Have just been watching Scrooge this sounds like it would fit nicely as a soundtrack to the coming of Marley ... Good one

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Blooby

Very "Echoes"-era Floyd. Loving it. It would make for a nice lead-in to the disturbing track I just put up.  Was the voice in the end done digitally or analog?

Cool post.

Blooby

Hook

This is getting played on loop while my kids open presents this year.
Love it!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

That was an interesting listen...and not unlike the soundtrack to my Christmas nightmare!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Redler

You're not too far! Fascinating and experimental Xmas song!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

have you been putting aspirin in yer pepsi again?  ;D ;D ;D
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

leighelse

Great shades of early Floyd, with a touch of "Number Nine" and even a spark of Oldfield. Excellent listen. I particularly like the point where everything stops ... and then climbs out of the coffin again. The real ending is well crafted too.

Could you share a little of how you recorded this? What gear you used? How you did the backtracking and effects?

::Leigh
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Groundy

Another Christmas Cracker Nick.....
As Leigh said, What did you use for the effects...
Well done Pal.....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

ODH

Thanks everyone.

My daughter has a Christmas card which has the Rocking Around the Christmas Tree song when it's opened.  It's been used a lot and the batteries are getting low, and it's sounding a bit wonky.  And I thought it would make a good atmospheric backing for a track.  And I had that "Clanging Chimes of Doom" in my head for ages; it really jumps out at me every time I hear the song. 

So I recorded the card jingle and also sampled it - the "spoken" parts are the sample reversed and layered at different pitches.  The bells and atmospheric track is from Alchemy soft synth (a voice called Bellscape). 

The synth part was inspired by Fargo; they had a sample-and-hold synth running is some of the tense moments.  I used an arpeggiated synth in Garage band for that, changing the level and cut-off which each pass so it comes forward in the mix.

This was put together over Tuesday evening (while my wife was putting my daughter to bed - I got in trouble for doing this when I was supposed to be tidying up) and finished off yesterday afternoon after coming back from my works Christmas lunch.

Thanks for listening
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter