One Tank of Gas - Farrell - Cooter original

Started by Farrell Jackson, September 30, 2015, 08:07:10 AM

Farrell Jackson

one-tank-of-gas-224 file
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This is a modern Americana/Country ballad that Cooter Ford and I wrote.

Credits:

Cooter Ford - Lyrics and backing vocals.

Farrell Jackson - Music, lead vocal, backing vocals, guitars, bass and production/mix.

David C. Deal - Keys and strings.

Kevin Marcey - Drums.
One Tank of Gas

(V1)
The new wearing off... is growing old
The hands of time... pick up my luck
Short of nothing... but selling my soul
I'll trade everything... except my truck

(Chorus)
For a tank of gas... and one good meal
Wild life or land mines...ain't no big deal
My glass half full....is about to fill
Cause I'm a tank of gas... and one good meal
... from you

(V2)
So we challenge... the choices of fate
With life savings...less than a buck
Your giving heart....opened the gate
I left everything....except my truck

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
Leaving my past
For your love
Is the best deal....I ever made

(MUSIC

(LAST Chorus)
For a tank of gas.... and one good meal
Wild life or land mines... ain't no big deal
My glass is full.....it's about to spill
I was just one tank of gas .

Yeah, one tank of gas and one good meal
 ... from you

Cooter Ford © 10-10-15
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

bruno

Glorious Farrell - I love the massive production.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

fabulous, your voice is smooth as coffee n cream on this one. outstanding.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kenny B

Great song Farrell and gang.  Nice production.  Everything sounds excellent.

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

I remember listening to one of your earlier takes on this - at the time I thought that it stood on its own quite well. But now you've taken it to the next level! Super smooth and sweet performance and production - great work Farrell and friends!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Groundy

This is Fantastic Farrell,
So Professional, so well performed and produced...
Well done to you and your pals.

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Greeny

Wow. Bit of an epic, this one. Builds so beautifully, and the playing and production are both gorgeous. Sounds like classic 70's Americana to me - a long-lost Eagles track. Love the bit of gravel you put on the vocal too.

Truly wondrous!

Blooby

This is a "wow" post from you.  Just stellar. I admit to normally fiding violins cheesy, but the way these areb mixed really addes greatly rather than detract. I'm also really intrigued with your vocal change: (what?_ TC electronics preamp > FMR compressor > (another?) preamp? Why the second preamp (or is that part of the interface?)? Sounds great, by the way.

Loved it.

Blooby

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Blooby on October 01, 2015, 05:31:47 PMThis is a "wow" post from you.  Just stellar. I admit to normally fiding violins cheesy, but the way these areb mixed really addes greatly rather than detract. I'm also really intrigued with your vocal change: (what?_ TC electronics preamp > FMR compressor > (another?) preamp? Why the second preamp (or is that part of the interface?)? Sounds great, by the way.

Loved it.

Blooby

Thanks Bruno, ORH, Kenny B, cuthbert, Alex, Greeny and Blooby!

Blooby: This is my normal vocal recording set up. The first T.C. pre is really a channel strip but the only functions I use in the strip are the preamp and de-esser. I boost the T.C. preamp (about 30 to 40%) enough to drive the FMR compressor so it will function properly. I then route it to a Behringer AD converter/preamp. This converts the signal to digital. I then boost the Behringer pre to my desire recording level without having the need to use the analog make up level on the FMR comp. The digital signal is then sent to my VF160 recorder via a light pipe connection, bypassing the not as good preamps on the VF160.

Both preamps and the FMR compressor are very transparent when not pushed hard. At higher levels they tend to create some unwanted noise. I find this setup gets me the clearest and cleanest vocal recording levels.

On my vocal sound or style for this song.....I'm not physically pushing my vocals very hard. I was trying to sing more relaxed and with less force. Almost the same reason for not pushing the preamps too hard, with a louder vocal performance my room tends to create unwanted reflections and tones.....the same goes for my voice, lol!

Thanks all!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?