HELP! I've busted my machine!!!

Started by jackofall, April 01, 2009, 12:56:06 PM

jackofall

Yesterday, I thought my headphones were on the blink so I went and got some more today. These were also cutting out and I had to fiddle with the wire to get the sound back. I then tried them out on my CD player and they work fine.....so....I think I've damaged my machine! This probably happened when a lead got caught around my leg as I stood up and my machine got dragged to the floor. I'm so gutted! Does anyone know who could repair it and how much it's likely to cost. I'm like an addict here! I can't do without the thing now. It's a major part of my life - and it's also my connection with loads of great and talented people. Any suggestions?
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Oldrottenhead

ouch, i can empathise with you on that, unfortunately i have no idea how to repair your unit, hopefully someone here can assist.

if mine broke i would be down the nearest guitar shop to get a new one, stuff the credit crunch.

hope you get it sorted as i look forward to hearing all your tunes etc.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

First, you should talk to the music shop from which you purchased your Micro BR. They might be able to get it repaired locally, or maybe they could send it to Roland for you (perhaps under warranty) to save you the hassle. You could also ask the shop about the possibility of a loaner or rental Micro BR to use while yours is being repaired.

You could also call Roland U.K. at  +44 (0) 1792 702701

Ask them if an intermittent headphone jack is covered under their three-year warranty (you might not want to mention about the BR dropping to the floor). If not, ask them for an estimate on repairing it. If they won't give you one without seeing the unit, ask what their service rates are (per hour or flat fee). If it's going to be too expensive, you could also ask them if they can recommend any local repair shops that could do the job.

If you're handy and don't mind opening up your Micro BR (voiding warranty), you could probably repair it yourself. If the existing headphone jack can't be repaired, it should be fairly easy to buy a replacement and solder it in yourself.

Good luck.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

jackofall

I got it second hand from ebay, so I've got no warranty. I will ring that number tomorrow though. If I have to get a new one, I will!  I can still use it but it's really annoying, like a mobile phone that keeps cutting out. Thanks for the number.   
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

Greeny

You have my sympathies. We'd all feel the same pain in that situation. I hope it works out without resorting to getting a new one. But I already know that I'd get a new one if it happened to me. Stay strong!

ianjm

This fault IS covered by the three year warranty.  Mine did exactly the same three weeks ago.

I popped it back to the shop where I had it from, who luckily were an authorised roland dealer. They sent it back to roland who replaced
the main board and `Roberts your mothers brother` back as good as new and didnt cost a penny.....

64Guitars

Quote from: jackofall on April 01, 2009, 03:30:15 PMI got it second hand from ebay, so I've got no warranty. I will ring that number tomorrow though. If I have to get a new one, I will!  I can still use it but it's really annoying, like a mobile phone that keeps cutting out. Thanks for the number.   

Jackofall: I saw in another message thread that you've got your Micro BR back from repair. For the benefit of others who might need a similar repair, can I ask what it cost? And did Roland do the repair or did you take it elsewhere?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

jackofall

The repair was £35 and it was just a bit of soldering that was needed. I rang Roland and was put on to John Bright who runs a company called Treadwell in Tenbury Wells. His phone number is 07811 028312 (UK of course). Just by his manner, you know you can trust him.

Pedro

I feel that mine is going to same way. The headphone out fails sometimes, I wish that it is easy to repair so that when it fails completely I can repair it myself.

64Guitars

Quote from: admin on April 20, 2009, 04:54:05 PMI feel that mine is going to same way. The headphone out fails sometimes, I wish that it is easy to repair so that when it fails completely I can repair it myself.

Repairing or replacing a headphone jack should be easy for anyone with basic soldering skills. The challenge is in disassembling the Micro BR and re-assembling it correctly without breaking anything. I recommend taking digital photos at each step of the disassembly so you can figure out where everything goes when it's time to re-assemble it.

But check your warranty first. Roland offers a very good warranty in some countries. It's three years parts and labour in the U.K., for example. So find out if your Micro BR is under warranty before attempting to disassemble it (and voiding the warranty). If Roland will fix it for free, you might as well let them.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website