My Boundaries - a Hook and Bruno original

Started by bruno, January 09, 2015, 12:53:12 PM

bruno

Track 69 - My Boundaries
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Started life as City Limits - but Hook always comes up with amazing lyrics and equally great vocal performance - thanks as always brother. All the guitars are Kemper, lyrics, melody and vox by Hook. I was listening a lot to the new Foo's album at the time, and was interested if I could that layered texture of sounds, so this is my attempt :-)

Quite tricky to mix as the vocals can get easily lost - or be too loud. Lots of compression helps here :-) Hope you like.

B

My boundaries
have been defined
I can see the line
My limitations
are realized
I get along just fine

One day we will see
lift the veil and turn the key
remove the blinders for the periphery
Crystal clear it all will be
And I am filled with great relief
clouds will part as Will seas
tides will turn waters burn

I've got to find a way through this city's limits
I'm going to take what's mine and I hope that you come with it
I know my tactics might seem a little harsh
But I'm going to change the scene and rewrite this as a farce

I got a find a way
to get back in
A new beginning
I've been exiled
for my sin
And I fit right in

Peel each layer one by one and tell me and tell me how this could be fun and You might begin to see A side that i should probably deny
But I will know when you will see I'll use it also perfectlyand tear it down brick by brick and tie them to your legs and hips

I got to find my way
back into the city limits
To see where you are
and find out if you're still in it
The pieces of this puzzle are finally looking right
And the image is coming into site

A new identity
one that isn't me
completely free
And if I can get back home
I'm sure that you'll agree
It's destiny

One day we will see
lift the veil and turn the key
remove the blinders for the periphery
Crystal clear it all will be
And I am filled with great relief
clouds will part as Will seas
tides will turn waters burn
And we will have a fairytale were the heroes and will prevail

recorder
Boss BR-1600

dobrodaddy

Excellent collab, gentlemen!
That layered guitar thing is very tricky - way beyond me.  Bruno I think you did a fine job. 
Not exactly the Foo's, but certainly your own sound and works for the song really well.
Love the way you had your leads step out and then step back. 
Hook, what can I say, another great set of lyrics [and an excellent title change], sung beautifully.
Good to hear you folks again.  DD

Thanks for listening!

recorder
Zoom H2

Groundy

Nearly missed this little beauty.
Great collab Bruno and Hook......

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Hook

Brother my brother, this is hot man! You nailed the mix and those doubled & extra riffs are so very cool. I loved this track right from the second it started but man the lyric took me well over a month. The name change from City Limits to My Boundaries was by bruno (it's his track), I always write to his titles. As far as the vocal track, I didn't have much time, did it in the car last week. I new there were some inconsistencies in the levels but you really tamed it down and made me sound good, thanks man! Always a treat to et a track from bruno, we'll have to work this up for summer!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Pine

Man this is a smoker! Bruno, that Kemper dishes out tones that are just killer...but the fact is it's just another amp until a guy like you plugs into it. Your playing is marvelous on this...loved it. Hook, the lyrical fountain, has done a bang up job, delivering his lines in well phrased and classic Hook style...and in the car yet!
Excellent collab you guys...bravo!

pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Vanncad

Yep - I can really hear the Foo influence here guys!

That is a killer riff.
I ike that quirky second guitar part that comes in a couple times.
Sounds like a Boss "Touch Wah" effect I used back in the 80's

"...lift the veil and turn the key... " = great lyric!

I think if Foo Fighters and Iggy pop had a baby - it would look like this!
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

Blooby

The envelope filter caught my ear as well. It was so lush. So many I have tried tend to accentuate the high end quack.

Great tune, great singing, great tones, great playing (killer solo)...just great. The bass was just a tad rumbly/overpowering in the mix for me, but that could just be my speakers. And oh yeah, PPPFFFTTTTTTT for tempting me with the Kemper again.

Blooby

bruno

Thanks for the comments guys.

Blooby and Vanncad, everything is done on the Kemper, including the pre amp effects (the Wah, envelope filter). The Kemper pre and post amp effects are damn good, including the distortions. It has a stone phaser as well which I absolutely love. Sorry Blooby, that doesn't help the GAS.

Bass is always difficult to get just right, either too loud or too quiet, plus mastering completely changes the colour, as does the speakers - it always drives me crazy :-)

Brother, glad you liked. It was a bit of a job getting the vocals to sit in the mix. In the end, I but loads of compression, added some mids (to get it to cut through the mix) and added a lot of delay and some reverb (although you really cant hear that in the mix). Recording the guitars in stereo really thickens up the sound and makes it really difficult to get the vox to cut through just right. We live and we learn :-)

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

I wasn't implying the bass was a huge issue. I just feel that your standards are super high, so I wanted to throw that out there. One person's two cents.

And here's one more PPPFFFTTT for good measure for the continued G.A.S.

Blooby

Oldrottenhead

oohh yeeees this is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann