BOSS BR800 - odd time signatures solution?

Started by funkydoug, December 08, 2014, 08:37:45 AM

Hi,
this is my first post after reading this forum for many years. I'm now hoping to draw on your collective wisdom before deciding to buy a recording equipment. I've used PCs and multi-trackers in the past so am reasonably familiar with the concepts. I'm also aware that the BR800 only comes with 4/4 patterns but that you can use the software editor to create patterns in other time signatures. The issue that seems to frustrate people (most) is that you can't then access patterns you've created in any old song - they are only accessible within the song they're saved to.

Would this work around, er, work?...

1) I could create a bunch of beats in, say 3/4, (or import them) in the software editor on my PC then save them to a song called something like "Songs in three".
2) I then copy that song and call the copy "songs in three template" and lock / protect it.
3) Next, when I want to work in that time signature I load the song that isn't locked and use it and it's patterns. 4) When I'm done I re-copy the template so that I have a fresh 3/4 song to use next time inspiration strikes.
How does that sound?

I should say, I am trying to create a simple, one-box solution but don't mind putting in some time at the PC to set things up in advance ... I just don't want to have to connect everything up everytime.
All ideas much appreciated!
Doug.

64Guitars

Yes, that would work.

The custom patterns you create are stored in the file "PATTERN.BR0" in each song folder. So another way to re-use your custom patterns in other songs is to copy the "PATTERN.BR0" file containing your custom patterns into the song folder in which you wish to use them.  "PATTERN.BR0" contains only the custom patterns, so you don't have to worry about losing any of the preset patterns. However, if you copy it into a song folder that already has some custom patterns, then those patterns will be lost because the original "PATTERN.BR0" file for that song will be overwritten by the copied one.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

IanR

Hi,

Since you have experience using DAWs, then my suggestion would be to record on your BR800 using the 3/4 metronome and then export them to a DAW where you can import your drum track and then finish (mix/master) the song in the DAW.

This is what I do with my BR800 when I am writing/recording a song in a non-4/4 time signature.  I think this would be easier than the process you suggested.

The alternative is to create the drum pattern in whatever system you are using and then record it back into the BR800 using the line in. I have done this too.

I think that either of these options are more flexible than trying to set up permanent drum patterns within the BR itself.

However, I think that it is also possible to save the drum arrangements that you have created in the BR800 as user arrangements.  That would give you the ability to reuse your favourites more easily without having to to build them from scratch every time.  I have not done this myself, but it could be a good idea to see if this is useful to you.

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Magicaldog

I wonder what metronomes the BR-800 has ?

3/4 -6/8 - 7/8 etc etc

The manual has no info on this ????

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely