Dumming Down (Planet of Apes)

Started by ODH, November 27, 2014, 01:52:48 PM

ODH

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

MonkeyFest (banner image missing)

Will elaborate in the morning

Toodle-pip

;)
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

ODH

Here's a song which concerns itself with a pet hate of mine, which is the celebration of stupidity in the media; trash TV; aspiration to ignorance.  Some of the themes have been touched on in the fest already, I've probably drawn on them to an extent.

So usually when I write a song the music comes first then the lyrics and melody either at the same time or soon after.  This time though the lyrics came first - early hours of Monday morning this week - and I was stuck without a song / chord progression / hence melody to put them on.  I didn't even know what genre the song would be.  So I played around in GarageBand and arrived here, four days later.  Which isn't to say I spent four days on it, mind.

Nowadays it's a fairly rare thing for me to write an original song, so I'm happy that I got this one out.

Hope you enjoy

The pigs are happy in the shit
The monkeys in their jungles
Every night I watch TV
My IQ level tumbles

It entertains me when you're dumb;
I'm glad I'm not alone

I laugh at your stupidity [but]
It validates my own

[ch]
Dum-ming-down
Fee-ling-great
We de-evolve
To sub-pri-mate
Dum-ming-down
We cre-ate
a Monkey world   
a Planet of the Apes

The pigs are happy in their shit
Celebrities in jungles
Our progress as a species
It stutters and it stumbles

So which will be the winner now?
The ego or the id?

I call myself a full grown man
Then behave like a kid

Hook

This really makes me happy Nick! What a great chorus, I mean the kind of chorus that I wish I would have written!!!! One of my 1st thoughts for this wonderfully inspiring fest was Planet Of The Apes & i thought I was close with Into Monkey but it always kept out of reach. This is nothing short of perfect in my humble opinion, I love it...Monkeriffic!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

ODH

Thanks Mr H

Quote from: Hook on November 28, 2014, 05:47:09 AMOne of my 1st thoughts for this wonderfully inspiring fest was Planet Of The Apes & i thought I was close with Into Monkey

It was that song I meant, mostly, when I said about drawing on others here, tbh. Before that I could only think it was a fest about covers of Jungle Book songs. That one made me see the sophistication here. I knicked your idea in other words.  :)

Jarle

I enjoyed this a lot. Some really cool keyboard in here, and the chorus is great.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

Oh I like this!

Excellent playing and production as always. And I really dig the arrangement, with the Jazzy double bass and organ and that "techno"-synth that pops in.

Love the lyrics too.

Just a bloody good song!! :D

Well done  nick!

A fan I am.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Nelson

Very cool.
I think you put together the perfect music for it.

i really dig the chorus.
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Another great listen this morning, liked the keys and as the guys say the chorus was a stand out for me.  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

ODH

Dumming-Down
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Seeing as how the I'm-a-Celebrity programme is back on the TV (apparently), I was reminded of this one.  And it was a year ago today, so OTD bump.

I've never uploaded the file here, so here it is

Hook

MUST MAKE MONKYFIED MUSIC!

OTDelicious!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back