Oh *G*A*S* - I'm a walking dead man...

Started by Flash Harry, November 04, 2014, 03:36:13 PM

Flash Harry

I have wanted one of these babies for about 5 years, I have missed a few, too slow, not enough cash, and loads of other reasons, but this baby came my way. It's going to take a while to learn how to play, but I plan to play it live on at least some of the current set within three months.

Completely thrilled and chuffed to find it and be fortunate enough to be able to buy it.  

I just have to explain it to the missus now....

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

cuthbert

Ooooh nice!

What I do with these types of acquisitions is to hide it for a little while, and then ease it out some time later.

But then again, I've already got a spendthrift reputation so perhaps I'm not fooling mrs. cuthbert at all...  :D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Blooby

A Chapman Stick!?! You have got to be kidding me!!!! Tony Levin would be proud...and so am I!  That is friggin' awesome! I commend you on the purchase but am intimidated from afar. The independence of playing this beast has always scared me.  Unbelievably cool.

Just wow.

Blooby

alfstone

Really awesome, congrats for your stick!  ::)

...anyway, it's a wonderful instrument, last summer I was in Stockholm for holidays, and I remained an hour or so listening to a guy who was playing it in a square...

Wonderful, really wonderful, but like Blooby, I too would be scared about learning the playing technique...

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Farrell Jackson

Congrats Flash harry on the stick! We're going to have to start calling you the stick man.  :)
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

chapperz66

Fantastic!  I too have been lusting after one of them for years - and not just because of my name.  Did you find it in a shop or was it a private sale?

AndyR

I had no idea what it was until I read other people's comments. Looked like some sort of electric sitar to me.

Of course, I've heard of this Chapman Stick thing, but I'd never seen pictures of one.

I'm less in awe than some are... I'm more in the "Wot? Are you crazy man?" category ;) :D

I shall be interested to hear what you do with it.

Oh, and some advice on explaining it to the missus. It's possible that you could go "oh it's just some experimental home-made guitar I picked up down the second hand shop for a tenner - could be interesting" ... (Unless of course you have been briefing her for years, preparing the ground, explaining why you need one, showing her pictures of them, generally bring up "Chapman Stick" in after-dinner conversations, etc, etc... ;D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Flash Harry

I bought it from a chap who advertised it on EBay. I took my missus to see Tony Levin a couple of years back. She knows exactly what it is and sadly the 'experimental' and 'tenner' argument just will not wash.
I usually buy a cheap version of what I'm after, a Squier Affinity Strat for example before replacing it with a real Strat that looks just the same once the Squier becomes part of the landscape.

I can't with this.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Geir

Now I just must book a flight to come visit you !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........