PC recording

Started by galestermusic, February 19, 2008, 11:43:54 AM

galestermusic

Hello all! I haven't been able to record much. I had an accident on the 11th. and injured myself. But I have a PC question. Back in the summer I purchased a tascam interface and mic bundle. It came with some software to do the recording on the pc. Do most prefer pc recording? Or is Micro BR a better set up?

64Guitars

There are pros and cons to both types of recording.

Here are some reasons why I prefer to record on a BR:

1) Portability. I can take the BR to wherever my guitars and other musical equipment are located. If I recorded to a PC instead, I'd have to take my instruments upstairs to my cramped home office where my desktop computer is located. I could manage to take my guitar upstairs to record but I'd have a hell of a time with the piano and drum kit. ;)  Of course, if you have a laptop you can take it to where your instruments are. But there are always cables to disconnect before you can move it, so it's still a pain.

2) Noise. Computers make lots of noise. Fans, disk drives, etc. are constantly whirring away making lots of noise which you don't want to have picked up by your microphones. Of course, some computers are noisier than others but even the best make some noise. But the BR is completely silent because there are no moving parts. This is one reason why I prefer recorders like the BRs which use memory cards for storage instead of hard drives.

3) Updates and technical issues. With computers, you're constantly updating drivers, programs, O/S, and hardware. And you have to constantly wrestle with technical problems such as latency and incompatibilities with programs and drivers. With a BR, you just turn it on and it works. So you can concentrate on your music instead of your computer.

4) User interface. Computers have the advantage of a nice big display. However, they lack the tactile control of the BR. Track levels on the computer are adjusted by dragging the mouse on a virtual fader graphic. This can be difficult to do smoothly and accurately. With a BR such as the BR-600 or BR-900CD, you have real fader controls which are much easier to use and give you smoother, more accurate control over your levels (unfortunately, the Micro BR does not have real fader controls; it uses two +/- buttons to control levels). Of course, if you have lots of money, you could always buy a hardware control surface for your computer which would give you real faders, transport controls, etc. But the cost of a control surface can be more than the cost of a BR.  Oh, and you'll probably need to buy an audio interface and some mic preamps for your computer too.

5) Convenience. The BR is an all-in-one recording solution. It includes lots of great effects, a built-in drum machine, and built-in microphone (two in the BR-600). Just plug in your guitar and you're ready to record. It's the simplest, most convenient way to make multitrack recordings.

6) Cost. If cost is an issue, get a Micro BR. It will be much cheaper than buying DAW software, and audio interface, microphones and preamps, etc. If you can afford to spend a bit more, get a BR-600. It's almost as portable as the Micro BR but offers a LOT more features, including the new Drum Editor software (free download).

http://www.roland.com/products/en/BR-900CD_Version_2/images/info_03R_L.jpg

.. oops! I just realized that you already have a Tascam interface, mics and software. In that case, you might as well experiment with it and see what you think. Afterall, it will cost you nothing to try it. But consider my comments above. You might want to try a BR after you've experienced some of the computer issues I've mentioned.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

galestermusic

thanks for the reply 64. I bought the Micro BR to take on my truck with.  love it! But when I bought the tascam bundle, I was running vista and there was no drivers for it. I have learned that tascam now has the drivers for it.

I would like to ask you another question 64, say I play a measure of a guitar melody or chords and I don't want to have to keep playing it, is there a way to duplicate the measure and "paste" to X number of measures?

I get over whelmed with some of the stuff and then I put it down. I just wish I knew more about the Micro BR. The videos that Pedro did were of great help for the basics.

Thanks again

64Guitars

Quote from: LESTG on February 19, 2008, 01:22:53 PMI would like to ask you another question 64, say I play a measure of a guitar melody or chords and I don't want to have to keep playing it, is there a way to duplicate the measure and "paste" to X number of measures?

Sure. Just use the track Copy function. It's described on pages 53-55 of the Micro BR manual. After you enter the start measure, end measure, and destination start measure, the Micro BR will ask you how many times you want it repeated.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pedro

64Guitars named the pros for the BR's. What the PC offers the best is flexibility. There is nothing like audio editing on Audacity or Adobe Audition. For example, sampling is one thing that is done best on PC.

guitarron

That is a very well conceived and written response 64
I love the virtual instuments available on PC, But i'm extremely tired of the buzz kill or inspiration kill that comes from PC DAWs

I'm taking a step back in technology using a br over pc simply so i can get down to doing what i really love which is writing and recording, not F***ing around with PC issues as they crop up

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 19, 2008, 12:54:38 PMThere are pros and cons to both types of recording.

you have to constantly wrestle with technical problems such as latency and incompatibilities with programs and drivers. With a BR, you just turn it on and it works. So you can concentrate on your music instead of your computer.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Pedro

Absolutely. And you are not taking a step back in technology, you are actually taking a step further! Portable digital multitrack recorders that use removable media like the Micro BR are a big step further in technology in relation to the PC and they are pretty new.

VST instruments is great! I would like to have a MIDI keyboard to trigger them.

64Guitars

Quote from: admin on February 19, 2008, 04:24:14 PMVST instruments is great! I would like to have a MIDI keyboard to trigger them.

Assuming that you're a guitar player and not a keyboard player, have you considered the possibility of triggering VST instruments with a guitar instead of a keyboard? It's possible with a hex pickup such as the Roland GK-3:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=651&ParentId=55

and a pitch-to-midi converter such as the Axon AX 50 USB:

http://www.terratec.com/axon-en/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=36&menu=102

Check out these videos to get an idea of the possibilities:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=AXONInstruments

It costs more than an inexpensive keyboard but, for a guitar player, I think it offers a much better way to work with midi. The GK-3 pickup is about $200 US and the AXON AX 50 USB is about $500 US.

Many newer guitars, such as my Godin xtSA, already have a hex pickup installed so you don't have to buy a GK-3 pickup. I haven't used my hex pickup yet but I hope to do so in the not too distant future when I buy a Roland VG-99.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=849

(check out the videos)

The VG-99 models not only amplifiers and effects, but actual guitars too! With the VG-99, I will be able to make my Godin sound like a Stratocaster, Les Paul, Rickenbacker, Martin, Guild, Dobro, nylon string guitar, 12-string (acoustic or electric), and more. It can also model other instruments such as banjo, sitar and organ, and has a very versatile guitar synthesizer built-in. Plus, it has a built-in pitch-to-midi converter which can be used to trigger synthesizers or other sound generators, including VST instruments. I think it will be LOTS of fun!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pedro

That looks great 64Guitars and it really looks like LOTS of fun! I mean that thing emulates everything.

And the videos about the Axon were awesome! I whish these things weren't so expensive...