boucing again

Started by wiley, March 28, 2009, 02:00:38 PM

Wiley

Ok I've been reading back through some of the posts and didn't find an answer to this.  I have recorded all 4 tracks and then bounced to track 1 v2.  I then fill the V2 tracks on the next three tracks and then bounced to Track1 V3.  Now my question is I want to change.  If I go back and make sure the first 4 tracks or highlighted underscored whatever. Can I rebounce just those 4 first tracks?  I know I did it in mono.  So I would like to have some of the sounds come out of left or right.  But I really didn't want to have to start all over.  And then can I do the second bounce again also.  It will over write won't it?  I haven't had much practice at the panning.  And you have to bounce in stereo for that to work right?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

64Guitars

Quote from: wiley on March 28, 2009, 02:00:38 PMOk I've been reading back through some of the posts and didn't find an answer to this.  I have recorded all 4 tracks and then bounced to track 1 v2.  I then fill the V2 tracks on the next three tracks and then bounced to Track1 V3.

Your first bounce should have been to Tr12v2 which is a stereo pair, rather than to Tr1v2 which is a single mono track. Likewise, your next bounce should have been to Tr12v3. But I see that you've already realized that.

QuoteNow my question is I want to change.  If I go back and make sure the first 4 tracks or highlighted underscored whatever. Can I rebounce just those 4 first tracks?

Certainly. All of your original tracks are still there. It's just a matter of selecting the right v-tracks before the bounce. See page 40 of the manual.

To re-do your first bounce in stereo, make sure all four tracks are set to V1 as shown in the screenshot on page 40. For the bounce destination, you would normally select Tr12v2. However, you've already recorded something on Tr2v2 which you won't want to overwrite. No problem. Just select any pair of tracks that you haven't yet used. From what you've said, it sounds like Tr12v4 should still be empty so you could use them.

For your next bounce, set the v-tracks to V4 V4 V2 V2. This will give you a mix of your first four tracks plus whatever's on V2 of tracks 3 and 4. Set the bounce destination to Tr34v3 (assuming it's still empty; else use Tr34v4).

You now have one track on Tr2v2 which hasn't yet been included in the mix. To do that, set the v-tracks to V5 V2 V3 V3. This will mix the last sub-mix which is on Tr34V3 with the track on Tr2V2. You don't need anything from track 1 in this mix, which is why I've suggested setting it to V5 which (I assume) is empty. It would also be a good idea to set the track level of track 1 to minimum to avoid any internal noise from that mixer channel. Set the bounce destination to Tr12v5 (assuming they are empty) and perform the bounce.

Your completed stereo mix should now be on Tr12v5. If you want to add any more tracks, set the v-tracks to V5 V5 V4 V4 (assuming Tr34V4 is empty) and record the new stuff to tracks 3 and 4.

Of course, you'll want to adjust the Pan setting of each track as desired before each bounce. See page 44.

You don't have to worry about over-writing previously recorded tracks if you're careful when you select the bounce destination track pair. The display will show two small boxes to the right of the destination tracks. If these boxes are filled-in (dark), then the selected destination tracks already contain a previous recording which will be over-written. So just change the destination to a track pair that's empty. When an empty track pair is selected, the two boxes will be empty (light).

The same applies when selecting v-tracks. As shown in the screenshot on page 40, there are eight boxes which represent the eight v-tracks for the currently-selected track. The leftmost box is v-track 1 and the rightmost is v-track 8. Dark boxes represent v-tracks that contain previously recorded data and light boxes represent empty v-tracks. Obviously, you need to make sure that any tracks you wish to record on are set to empty v-tracks, and any tracks you wish to hear played back (for monitoring the previous mix, for example) are set to the correct v-tracks (dark).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Wiley

Thanks 64 Guitars,   It worked just perfectly.  I think I'm beginning to understand some of this bouncing business.  What I'm working on still needs about 3 maybe 4 more tracks.  So I am getting plenty of practice..  Again thanks  so much!! ;)