Simultaneous recording from Mic and Guitar inputs

Started by AndyC1500, March 26, 2009, 07:08:16 AM

Hi, I have recently purchases a BR Micro, with the intention of using simultaneous inputs from guitar and mic into distinct tracks. Reading the backlog of articles, it appears that this should be possible, but probably because I am new to the device, I am struggling....I have so far only been able to record simultaneous inputs into two tracks, but the inputs are mixed respectively into each. (I.e. track 1 contains both inputs, and so does track 2.)

For instance I can select track 1 from the Rec Track menu, and set the input accordingly (lets say Guitar). I have the option here to select Guitar and Mic together. Where I take this option, I will get both inputs onto track 1. When played back, the effects apply to both, and with Pan applied both play in say the left output channel.

Now if I want to set up say track 2 simultaneously, the only option appears to be to press tracks 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 together. I then no longer have control over respective inputs (db etc.). If I try and set one track before recording, I lose the setting as I set up the other.  Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I want to avoid getting a separate mixer, as I travel a good deal, and like to take the guitar and BR micro with me, and would prefer to avoid the extra gear.

Many thanks
Andy

hewhoiscalledj

Greetings Andy...

You arent doing anything wrong and your assesment of the situation is correct. The MicroBR can only record 1 track or a stereo pair of tracks at one time. So when you press Track1 and Track2 at the same time, you are setting them to record together as a stereo pair. The only way to record multiple tracks or track pairs, is to do so one at a time. For instance, you can record your rythm guitar track first... and then record a seperate track for lead guitar, another for vocals, or piano, etc... Even with a seperate mixer, you can only record to the 1 or 2 stereo tracks at at time.

I hope that makes sense... The MBR is essentially a 4 track recorder that can only record one track/pair at a time; but it does have the ability to record up to 32 tracks all together using the virtual tracks. Much can be done with just this one little device but it may take a little ingenuity to make it do what you want.

cheers....

Many thanks. It is a shame, and somewhat of a shortcoming on an otherwise natty product.
AndyC

Ted

You can find fairly cheap and portable two-channel stereo mixers, like this one:

Here's a somewhat bigger and cheaper 4-track one from Radio Shack that can run on battery power, if that's a consideration:

The downside would be that you wouldn't be able record "wet" using the  MBR's built-in guitar patches.  But the MBR is pretty flexible about adding EQ and effects to dry tracks after they've been recorded.

Thanks for posting this question.  I may encounter the same dilemma in the near future, and otherwise I wouldn't have thought it through in advance.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac