To Know and Love

Started by allysonmarie, July 16, 2014, 07:58:10 PM

Bluesberry

Oh I like this one a lot.  Deep and heartfelt and very poetic.  A little rock-opera in miniature. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

allysonmarie

I'm sorry the sound quality is so bad. I should probably stop posting songs altogether so that it no longer needs to be brought up. This voice recorder below is the only thing I've ever used to record my songs with.
It's all I was able to afford when I first started and unfortunately not much has changed with that limitation. I don't know how to use the special equipment others on this site are very used to. I don't own multiple mics. It's just my voice, my piano and this recorder strung around my neck as I play...lol I suppose trying at all to record this way is more ridiculous than I first considered.       

funkyaxe

This is great Allysonmarie. Your recordings are fine, okay they could obviously be improved on with different equipment and recording methods but please only take the comments above as constuctive as they are only meant that way. I'm sure we would all rather you keep posting your incredibily original songs recorded the way they are than not at all. Your voice has a wonderful passionate quality which works on so many levels and to my ears the method you are using to record actually works very well with your heartfelt and original songs and wonderful piano playing style. More please....

Funkyaxe ( andy )

Hilary

Hi Allysonmarie

You sing straight from the soul to heal the soul, that's all that matters but please keep posting. By sharing your music you could heal others too.

xx
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Tangled Wires

Quote from: funkyaxe on July 22, 2014, 06:32:30 PMYour recordings are fine, okay they could obviously be improved on with different equipment and recording methods but please only take the comments above as constuctive as they are only meant that way. I'm sure we would all rather you keep posting your incredibily original songs recorded the way they are than not at all.

Very well said.

The quality of song is always the most important ingredient, and you always excel in this respect.

Keep posting please!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

Yea, I'm glad some others have chimed in here. Anytime anyone here finds your recordings for the first time they are going to be blown away by your talent & recognize that your set up is minimal. For the most part, everyone here is into recording. Some to write, some to produce & some just to play. It's in most of our nature to listen closely & I would imagine it won't be the last time someone suggests better equipment to you.
The thing is Allyson, you don't need anymore than what you have. Your voice recorder & your  charmingly dissonant piano have captured amazingly moving performances of a truly talented singer/songwriter/artist. Take the comment with a smile, for what it is...a compliment, not a criticism. It's there (our/ my) way of saying how good you are! What you need will be there when you need it, until than what you have is what you have & it will be enough. I look forward to your next post.
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

steelguitar

Quote from: allysonmarie on July 22, 2014, 05:26:32 PMI'm sorry the sound quality is so bad. I should probably stop posting songs altogether so that it no longer needs to be brought up. This voice recorder below is the only thing I've ever used to record my songs with.

NO. Absolutly not.
That is absolutly not what I wanted to say.
I don't want you to "stop posting"!!! :o
You have a wonderful voice, your compositions are superb and you have the perfect taste of musicality and personality!!!

As some comments said from your first post sended here, the "micro br" is a cool simple recorder but a high quality one. There are some others, I don't know them.

Keep posting your fabulous texts and compositions here.
My critic was not a negative one and only a constructive one : If you don't have the opportunity to record with another thing than an olympus voice recorder, it is not important musicaly. But it would just enhance the great pleasure to hear your fabulous songs!!!  :)

Only the musical thing is essential, and you have it. 8)

I KNOW you are talented AND I LOVE your music.
Musicaly and sincerely.

Jean-Sébastien

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

IanR

Quote from: IanR on July 21, 2014, 06:33:28 AMHi Allysonmarie,

I love your work.  It is very different to most of the styles that are on Songcrafters and that is great.  You truly communicate the emotion of the lyrics and your playing is very skillful.

If you are interested, there are lots of threads on this site which provide tips on things such as setting recording levels and microphone placement, etc that will help the sound of your recordings.  There is a lot to learn about recording and I have found it fun trying out different approaches and buying additional equipment to help improve my sound quality.  One things you could try is recording with two mics. One for voice and one for piano.  You would have to find the right mics and then learn how to adjust the balance. There are some very good mics that are not too expensive.  Of course that will depend upon the recording device you are using as well and the inputs it can manage.

So, keep at it. You are a breath of fresh air and you have already come a long way.

Best wishes,

Ian

Hi Allysonmarie,

There are many reasons why people post their work on this site.  Some just like to share their music. Others do this and also seek feedback on how to improve their performance and their recordings.

I have commented on your songs a few times and I think I have always been positive.  

This last time I commented, I added some further encouragement about recording technique.  You should take it as intended - which was friendly encouragement.  I'm very sorry if this sounded negative. I did not mean to.  If you read the other comments above, you will see there was plenty of praise.

There is no minimum standard on songcrafters.  People do as they choose.  One of the things you must choose is whether or not you agree with what people say about your posts.  Sometimes you might get a piece of advice that makes sense and so you give it a try.  Other times you will just ignore the feedback.  Don't feel as if you have to please anyone, or do anything that does not make sense to you.

Please keep posting. I get a lot from your posts.  I hope you continue to as well.

regards,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One