Any tips for recording bass (with guitar) on micro BR

Started by Red62, May 26, 2014, 09:14:34 AM

chip

Quote from: Flash Harry on May 26, 2014, 02:25:51 PMBuy a bass. Even the cheapest and nastiest bass guitar sounds better than a pitch shifted guitar.

There are loads of cheap basses on EBay.

I agree. However you may get the dreaded noise depending on the guitar. See my post. Active https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=20879.0. In saying that, the noise was way less on the BR80 which I put down to battery operation of the recorder instead of ac. The noise while using ac (BR1200) was unbearable. It appears to me that some bass guitars generate considerable disturbance whilst being recorded and the expensive ones can do the same.

So if you get a cheap one be prepared for some noise/pick-up/grounding problems. As for using the sim on the BR80 for bass, I couldn't use it, it did not sound right.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

chip

Quote from: Red62 on May 26, 2014, 02:27:53 PMthe problem with buying a bass isnt cost.. it's space!!!!  But I hear what your saying...

You don't need much space for a bass. I have three of them now, the great thing about a bass is you can chuck them anywhere, I find them pretty indestructible.

I have a spare bedroom about 12 ft by 6ft. In this room there is a single bed, a steamer trunk containing leads, boxes and a Voxactv4. Next to it is a desk with draws full of pedals, books and gadgets, on top of it is the Br1200, the Alesis sr16, micro korg, noise gate pedal another pedal, various books and a thousand wires. On top of the window sill there are two monitors and a condenser mic plus small mic stand. Next to that is another table with various bits of music related odds and sods, underneath that there are more boxes with more music related bits. Then I have three bass guitars stacked against the table leaning on each other. On the other side at the bottom of the bed is a guitar rack with three electric guitars and an acoustic in the corner sitting on a 1x12 cab.
This room is used to sleep in by visitors if they can handle it and by me when the mood takes me, I can sit and play looking out the window on to the garden surrounded by this wonderful mess of instruments and tangled wires. Of course I would prefer the whole house to be dedicated to all things music, but alas I can't afford a divorce  :-X
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Greeny

Flash is spot on. Even the cheapest, nastiest bass you can find will do a better job than pitch shifting. You can't fake the thickness and heavy vibration of a bass string. And they are SO MUCH fun to play.

The other, leftfield, option is to use the bass guitar sims in Garageband. They actually do sound like a proper bass. But you'd need an iPhone or iPad for that - would be cheaper to buy a proper bass!

Oh... and another alternative is to colloborate with someone on here who can add bass for you.

Speed Demon

The low frequency notes produced by a bass instrument are not easy to reproduce by modifying notes that were played on a different instrument. I've tinkered with that many times and the results were underwheming, to say the least. In fact, they sucked big time.

Simple solution: Buy a bass, or ask someone here to do the job for you.

Lots of good bass players here. Flash Harry, for one.

Here are a few for your viewing pleasure.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Hook

I'm chiming the same tone brother. Buy a bass, I got my Peavey Trademark on Ebay for $60 + $40 set up. Not a great bass but fun to have, I don't see the space issue since you can buy a wall hanger & a gig bag you can roll up and stash away easy. Hell mine sits in the corner most of the time and takes up no space.

With that said, you could get an octave pedal, I've heard some very cool things done live. I also (like Greeny said) have used my iPhone for bass a lot. I really like thumbjam's plucked upright bass, it's extremely real sounding and very intuitive to use. I've used the electric sounds a little, and with some practice I think it could sound quite good but I almost always will choose to pick up my bass for the electric bass sound. Garage Band is also very capable, auto play has some good patterns and it's easy to use if your song sticks to a key. I'm not a fan of GB's free play bass, I prefer thumbjam for that.

I also think that someone here has used audacity with some success but I can't think of an example, It's certainly worth a try. With some eq and reverb you could probably make it sound alright.
Good luck &
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

danieldesete

L, I told you they were all going to tell you to buy a bass, this site is full of GAS incurable people, me for instance.

daniel
hou hou ha ha