Stranger a Jarle original.

Started by Jarle, April 24, 2014, 11:40:38 AM

Tangled Wires

Quite how you managed to piece all this together and make it all flow perfectly is beyond me, and I don't think that this is the first time that I have said that about one of your songs!

Its almost as if this is beyond a song...its like some kind of magical aural journey that ebbs and flows from one style to another, and the dynamics created are just tremendous.

The vocal delivery is just spot on, and it adapts effortlessly between the gentler and heavy sections.

Your time spent on this is worth the reward, it is something stunning that you have produced here.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gnasty

WOW!! I love it! I can listen to this all day!(and i will!) This is immensely incredible good!! You are one huge talent my friend.

Great composition!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Farrell Jackson

The creative multi rhythmic opening is fantastic Jarle and it continues through out the song. All going different directions at the same time yet ending up at the right place. All I can is this is a very impressive masterpiece of music!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

cuthbert

Wow! So very proggy, and those time signatures are very well done - I can't even imagine what it takes to keep all that under control. At first, I thought the clean high guitar at the beginning was a mandolin, and then...pow! Amazing how much you put into this.

Refreshingly different!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

So completely and totally captivating.  You score big time with this.  Its everything I love in a song, all bundled together into this monster jam.  I bet you worked on this one a while.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony H

Wow. This totally sounds like it came from Jethro Tull's lost recording minus the flute. They way you did the f'ed up timing and time changes is real cool.....And the percussion....I thing we can all agree.....spectacular.
Tony

recorder
Boss BR-800

Ferryman_1957

I was expecting a peaceful, folky song when I read the lyrics and instead I got a progtastic masterpiece, a multi-faceted gem. There's many great parts here, lots to really hold the interest as it twists and turns. I particularly liked the Eastern flavour at about 1:25, great section before it goes all quiet and then back comes the great Eastern riff then slow and moody. Great songwriting and great dynamics.

A really, really fab piece of music. Great depths, captivating, intriguing and beatifully arranged. And the drums are just stunning throughout. Well done!

Bluesberry

We'll done indeed....this is really something special......it all comes together on this one..........the totality of your self, your soul is contained in this song.......I can't describe how this one makes me feel on listening....simply stunning.......how did you put this all together......and it feels so pure and complete, not rushed, not pasted together, well thought out and perfectly constructed..........its alive, it feels alive............and its full of stars.........man, what a track

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Jarle

Thanks everyone.

Quote from: Tangled Wires on April 25, 2014, 06:37:06 AMQuite how you managed to piece all this together and make it all flow perfectly is beyond me, and I don't think that this is the first time that I have said that about one of your songs! ...

When I first came up with the opening riff I knew this would be a prog song. Then I wrote the lyrics and the next part wrote itself. I came up with the next guitar riff after some try and error. The folky part was the hardest to fit in, but the draft on the clean guitar was already recorded. So I decided to try to make the song a little more orchestral by adding some strings frome Notion. (Writing notes was a real challenge  :) )
The quiet bit was added to create a contrast to the rest of the song and to emphasise the lyrics. Then the lyrics take a different turn and the despair demanded a more aggressive part. I used a version of a previous riff to bind it all together.
The coda is the first part sung slow to wrap it up.

Quote from: oldrottenhead on April 24, 2014, 03:02:33 PM...did you play the drums or programme them.
I played the drums. I tried to record them in one take, but due to the abrupt changes in tempo and styles I found it easier to stop the recorder and start again to make sure the drums was presise enough. The drums was the last instrument recorded. And I found them to bind it all together.

recorder
Boss BR-800

bruno

On my second listen - wow, this is super good. Excellent work Jarie, bar raising stuff.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600