"Where Do I Get On" a Hook original for TVFest

Started by Hook, March 20, 2014, 10:59:02 PM

Hook

Where Do I Get On
Time:
0:00
Volume:
TV_Fest (banner image missing)

Inspired by Reality TV in general, this is the 1st tune done entirely on my new Tascam DP-008, and I must say I'm very impressed! It's easy to use, pretty intuitive & well designed/organized. I remember thinking when I had my Dp-004, "If only this had some reverb" well this one does and it sounds quite nice. The uke is through the onboard mics (stereo)the vocals are also through the onboard mics, one mic has the vocal1 effect & the other has the vocal 2 effect. Cello, bass & flute are Thumbjam. I used all 8 tracks, then exported them onto my laptop & then bounced them to 2 tracks. Then I recorded the flute track, mixed & mastered using the auto master feature.9 tracks and only one bounce...cool...I'm very happy!

1 uke (stereo)
1 cello (TJ)
1 bass (TJ)
1 drums (YDD60 + DD35) stereo
1 vocal (stereo)
1 flute (TJ)

Where Do I Get On
written & performed by Hook
Why is it so compelling to watch you and your shit
How is it so convincing this could somehow be true

Where do you get off
More importantly
Where do I get on

how can it seems so natural in the midst of manipulation
How can it feel so scripted yet completely improvisation

Chorus

Give me a chance to exploit
Everything about me that's wrong

Chorus

Why is it so compelling to watch you and your shit

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Redler

Had to listen to this via headphones. Sounds very sweet and chrystal clear! Flute and cello additions are excellent - on some spots they are sounding almost to classical music. Fine tune, as well!

Congrats for the new gear!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

kenny mac

Wow hook ,nice recording.
The machine sounds top notch and the sounds so full.
I'm looking forward to what you record next on your new machine.
I would love to hear you do a version of put a little birdhouse in your soul.
I think you would nail it spot on.

bruno

Whoa Bro, that's some speedy skills with the flute on TJ. New recorded sounds really nice, excellent clarity and sounds really balanced. Sounds like this will be a productive machine, still wondering why its so expensive in the UK  >:( I must admit to wanting one of those 32 track Tascam machines, but that will require some explaination  ;)

Very nice track, I love the symmetry used in the lyrics - very cool. Was that the new Uke???
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Jarle

A really good recording of a great song. The cello sounds beautiful.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Hook

Thanks guys, I had a chance to listen to this in my car and was really unpleasantly surprised. I thought it sounded pretty well mixed in headphones & I've listened on my phone speakers & my laptop and it sounds good, maybe the flute could come down a bit. However in my car it seemed to be all Cello & voice. The drums & uke seemed completely buried. I think I'll take another stab at the mix of this one but have pulled all but the flute part off the 008 so I'll do the next mix in audacity. Let me know what you guys hear if you listen, thanks!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Nice job. The mix sounds fine to me. Perhaps the drums and flute could come up every so slightly but they're not bad as they are. The uke levels sound fine. I listened on my computer speakers (harman/kardons) and with headphones and I didn't hear any major problem. Cars aren't the best place to judge a mix.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Groundy

Another cracker Hook, The mix sounds fine to me, nice one.......Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

AndyR

I assume I'm still listening to the 1st mix? Sounds good to me. I've listened on my main "Andrew Russe, the producer" headphones (! :D), and on the "cr@ppy" powered speakers on the pc... balance seems really good on both.

But I don't have a car... so I can't check it out like that... Surprised the uke disappears though!! Mebbe it's coming out the speakers furthest from you?

ANYWAY - very cool track :).

Love the mix (even if your car doesn't!), and the instrumentation is really spot on, not too much, not too little, it's just all "there" - and with just 9 tracks!! Fine job.

Btw, I've been watching the "multi-track" thread with interest, and I must admit to sharing the same cravings as Bruno (the 32 track), so I'm very pleased to hear these results!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

nice one hooky, sounds like you got a bargain. i am listening on cheap crappy pc speakers and mix sounds perfect to my auld ears.

no bouncing?  mmm maybe i do have to upgrade, especially as i record most things in stereo to two tracks. most of my recent stuff on my microbr has filled every v track as a result.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann