"Human" Hook covers The Human League

Started by Hook, March 13, 2014, 10:41:23 AM

Hook

Human
Time:
0:00
Volume:
80sVarietyFest (banner image missing)

Listened to this a bunch of times on the way to my gig yesterday & got there about 20min. early. Recorded in my wifes Dodge Grand Caravan. LITLR into the mbr, it gets a little loud in the 2nd min.
1 uke/vocal (mono...ooops)

Human
written by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis
performed by Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Nice, laid-back cover of a cool song. Well done.

So, that's half of the six artists in 80s Variety Fest done now. Three more to go. ;)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Groundy

Great cover , as always Hook, a huge well done, Thanks for sharing...Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

ODH

It's good.  You're good.  You're the uke-master.  It's a song that was on my radar, but only at pre-concept stage.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Hook

Thanks for the kind words my friends!

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 13, 2014, 10:31:46 PMSo, that's half of the six artists in 80s Variety Fest done now. Three more to go. ;)

Actually this makes 4 of 6 so only Nik Kershaw & Icycle Works to go but I can't say that I know any songs from either. I'm going to check out youtube but any suggestions would be great!
Fest On my brothers & sisters!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

ODH

Quote from: Hook on March 14, 2014, 06:03:13 AMonly Nik Kershaw & Icycle Works to go but I can't say that I know any songs from either. I'm going to check out youtube but any suggestions would be great!
Fest On my brothers & sisters!

Never really cared much for Nik Kershaw (anyone who affects to spell Nick without the c doesn't get far in my book).  Icicle Works were a big band for me though.  I can just hear a uked, Hookified version of Wonderful Colours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3nFMjOxdYk
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Hook

How did I not know about this band???? I really dig this song and was just tinkering around with it on uke before my first gig. Right up my alley, thanks Nick, I'm excited about learning this one!
Rock on!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Rolow

I don't know the original either and only heard of the band.  This makes me want to get familiar with both. 

Real nice vocal and the uke backing works well with the song.  Well done. ;D ;D
Let it be known, there is a fountain, that was not made, by the hands of men.

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on March 14, 2014, 06:03:13 AMActually this makes 4 of 6

Oops! You're right, of course.

Quote from: Hook on March 14, 2014, 06:03:13 AMso only Nik Kershaw & Icycle Works to go but I can't say that I know any songs from either. I'm going to check out youtube but any suggestions would be great!

I'm not real familiar with them either but, from my chart books (Billboard and CHUM), I can tell you that Icicle Works only had one Billboard Top 40 hit - "Whisper To A Scream (Birds Fly)" which peaked at #37 in 1984 (#9 on the Toronto CHUM Chart). So if you'd recognize any of their songs, it would probably be that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVQCpI4GbKQ

Nik Kershaw didn't have any Billboard Top 40 hits but the song "Wouldn't It Be Good" reached #5 on the Toronto CHUM Chart in 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvC2LRTR8UI

I'm guessing that Icicle Works and Nik Kershaw had more hits in the UK, but they weren't as successful on this side of the pond.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Greeny

It's getting on for a year since I saw The Human League performing this in Kew Gardens on a sunny summer evening. This works really well stripped down - it adds a really honest and intimate feel that's spot-on for the lyric. So nicely played and sung.